You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Interior Closet Door Hinges

Does anyone have a part number or the manufacture of the large articulating bath/closet door hinges that are mortised into the door and door jamb?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I haven't tracked down a specific part number for ours yet, but I belive the hinges are Soss hidden hinges, or are at least an equivalent design.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

David

Yes that is it a quick search found their website and a catalog.....see attached for future reference.
.pdf 2953_10_SOSS+Hinges+Catalog.pdf Size: 12.02 MB  Downloads: 20

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Soss hinges. I believe I found them on Amazon. There is also a jig for routing out the pocket for them to fit. My dual mirrored door actually sagged all 4 hinges. Had to replace them all. (I have since removed the heavy mirrors)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Excellent! Thank you for posting the catalog link.
Hinge replacement has been one of my "someday" type projects for awhile as our water closet door has the droops.
Snugging up the mounting screws helped a little, swapping top and bottom hinges helped a little more, but ultimately we just need new hinges.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Your welcome David
Simon, Found this jig from Woodhaven I think it would be a reasonable tool purchase for even one door....https://woodhaven.com/products/woodhaven-8660-for-soss-100-hinge

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(02-16-2023, 02:24 PM)BusNit Wrote:  Soss hinges. I believe I found them on Amazon. There is also a jig for routing out the pocket for them to fit. My dual mirrored door actually sagged all 4 hinges. Had to replace them all. (I have since removed the heavy mirrors)

Hello Simon, 
Did you replace the panels that had the mirrors or were you able to remove the mirrors and reuse the panels? I would be interested in learning if there is a safe way to remove the mirrors from our bathroom closet doors without damaging them and re-laminate the panels vs. fully replacing the closet doors. 

Two more questions if you don't mind re: your fantastic craftsmanship...  your wallpaper looks great... would you mind sharing where you bought it? And finally, the wood plank ceiling treatments you installed. Do you have any pictures of the removal/installation process? I may have missed it if you posted already.  

The work you have done on your coach is superb and has inspired some ideas! 

Thanks,
Paul

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

3M adhesive remover, soak the edge, carefully insert razor knife, don’t force anything, squirt more adhesive remover, wait, move knife, rinse and repeat till mirror comes off. The key is soaking and waiting. You will get a feel for it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

As Richard mentioned, 3M adhesive remover in copious amounts. I also made a super thin cable on two wood handles that I used to "saw" behind the adhesive. A couple of putty knives gently tapped along the edges and tons of patience. The mirror did crack but that made it easier for me to work with. When it was all removed a single edge razor on a handle mount along with more adhesive remover to help take off the excess helped. Final finish was with a 220 grit sanding sponge gently over the entire formica surface. It was a tedious task but I was quoted some $1800 for a new custom sized door. Figured let me try my way first before jumping the gun. Everything/everyone in AZ is ridiculously priced.

The ceiling is comprised of laminate flooring that I shaved down the backside after cutting to the 2" or so strip size. I used the table saw to thin the plank a bit. Used Weldwood contact cement with two coats letting each coat dry 15-20 min on each side and up they went. No issues so far. The original ceiling had brass strips that were already coming down on their own from age. Not much to say other than the difficult spots I used a wide sharp chisel and pushed along the surfaces to separate the brass trim where it was well adhered from the ceiling plywood.

Wall paper was bought at a local wallpaper store and I used a non licensed two woman company to install it. I paid more than it was worth but nobody wanted to do the job since it was not a house.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(06-18-2023, 06:37 PM)BusNit Wrote:  As Richard mentioned, 3M adhesive remover in copious amounts. I also made a super thin cable on two wood handles that I used to "saw" behind the adhesive. A couple of putty knives gently tapped along the edges and tons of patience. The mirror did crack but that made it easier for me to work with. When it was all removed a single edge razor on a handle mount along with more adhesive remover to help take off the excess helped. Final finish was with a 220 grit sanding sponge gently over the entire formica surface. It was a tedious task but I was quoted some $1800 for a new custom sized door. Figured let me try my way first before jumping the gun. Everything/everyone in AZ is ridiculously priced.

The ceiling is comprised of laminate flooring that I shaved down the backside after cutting to the 2" or so strip size. I used the table saw to thin the plank a bit. Used Weldwood contact cement with two coats letting each coat dry 15-20 min on each side and up they went. No issues so far. The original ceiling had brass strips that were already coming down on their own from age. Not much to say other than the difficult spots I used a wide sharp chisel and pushed along the surfaces to separate the brass trim where it was well adhered from the ceiling plywood.

Wall paper was bought at a local wallpaper store and I used a non licensed two woman company to install it. I paid more than it was worth but nobody wanted to do the job since it was not a house.

Thanks Simon and Richard… very helpful info… maybe something for me to look at down the road. 

Paul

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad