You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Temp support rear of coach - drag guards

I need to remove a rear brake valve, so I obviously need to safely support the rear of the coach to release air and then go under it. I don't know exactly what to call them, but I'm calling them the drag guards at the rear bumper that keep the back end of the coach from dragging... if those are blocked, will they safely hold the body of the coach up?
If not, feel free to link me to another post about how to do this. I'm sure it's discussed I was just having trouble finding the relevant posts.
Thank you,
Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

Hi Alan, just my 2¢ but those drag feet at the rear would not be my choice for support. I believe those are just welded onto the skeletal structure of the coach and if used as support would place quite a bit of stress. I can't answer as to where to locate the jack stands or blocking as I built a pit to work on mine.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

NO is the answer. The drag guards are NOT designed to carry the entire weight of the coach.

Look in front of the rear axle where the radius arms (links) attach to the frame of the coach. There will be a parallel set of links on each side. Look at the bottom of the coach structure where those links are attached to the frame and you will see a pad there. That is the place to support the coach.

Rear      

Front      

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Now THAT is useful info! The pictures are, literally, worth a thousand words!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Thank you gentlemen! After seeing the photo I know exactly where these are... but I never knew that what they were for.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides