You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

SCS CFM Flow

I am posting this info to potentially help anyone contemplating a conversion to mini split. I measured the CFM flows coming from the existing SCS units in our coach with fans on high. 

The combined CFM on the front unit was close to 500 CFM. 
The combined CFM on all the vents from the rear unit was close to 500 CFM. 

I say close because there are lots of factors for getting a super accurate number, and these were crude measurements. But they should give you a number to compare to when looking at flow rates of ducted or cassette units. 

I realize this is somewhat apples and oranges give the generally accepted wisdom that less BTUs are needed with mini splits, and that most mini’s run at much lower CFM because of virtually continuous operation. 

As I think through how to do this on our rig, inquiring minds wanted to know. :-)

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'm not an HVAC trained guy but the inside of our coach got close to 90 yesterday so I fired off the generator and turned on the 3.5 tons of mini splits, it cooled the air down quickly even through the walls counter and furniture was still hot it was comfortable standing in the coach so if it where running all the time and the interior and furnishings are cooled they would be under minimum to medium loading. After talking with an LG engineer during our installation I think I could have gotten by with one 2 ton compressor as the LG 2 ton compressor unit can handle two 12k btu evaporator's and one 6k btu evaporator.

My thought is the slower the air passes through the evaporator the more time it can conduct the cool from it thus cooler air which makes sense because I have turned my cars ac on high and measured the air temp and its warmer air than when the fan is on low.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

You pioneers with the minis keep the real world data coming !!!!!!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Just came across this image of a real nice rig and thought I'd share it on this thread.  This is a 2023 New Horizons Majestic with an LG mini split factory installed as evidenced by the condenser exhaust on the side.  Jack's setup is most likely the direction we are headed on our coach when the SCS units give up the ghost.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Wow that looks pretty cool. No pun intended. Big Grin

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas