You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

"Its got a hole in it"

Only one a/c unit works in the coach. Decided to figure out what's going on with the middle and front unit. Front unit would not blow cold air. Compressor would not come on. I jumped the blue wire in the control board to power. Still no cold air. Took out my manifold gauges and had no pressure. No biggie I figured. Put some R22 to get me by until winter I thought. When I did so, I heard the hissing. Couldn't see where it was coming from and regardless, I knew the coil would have to come out. Not sure if these are repairable. Really bummed out. My temporary portable inverter a/c for the front also died today. This is when I begin to despise this f*%$&ing state and the heat. I am not going for roof air since I have solar up there. The space is too small to fit a mini split condensing unit even if I remove the top malfunctioning middle ac unit.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Yes the copper coils are easy to repair, since you already have it out, the easy way to find the leak is to pressurize it and put it under water you will see all the leakes, the proper way to do it is to use nitrogen, but you will need a nitrogen bottle and regulator. you have to plug one end and pressurize the other end, I was a refrigeration mechanic so I have fittings I would sulfos on the ends, you could use fuel line and hose clamps and a bolt to plug one end then figure out how to get pressure in the coil, you could use air pressure but there is moisture in it and you have to get it out by pulling a vacuum and boiling it out the vacuum reduces the boiling point of the water or the unit might not work properly, If the leak is where the copper pipes go through the steel end plates i have found that if i try to cut the steel away so that i can clean the copper and sulfoss the hole I end up making more holes so i use my oxy acetylene torch heat the steel up red hot open the oxygen up a little and oxidize the steel away cleaning the copper really good makes it easier to sulfos leak test it again to make sure there are no more leaks if you don't have a swaging tool you will have too buy 2 coupling to put it back together pull a vacuum on the system put the charge back in and it should work

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8

I have two Coleman mach basement air heat pumps here for sale, no one is interested in them so I wouldn't mind just parting them out, they worked when removed. Send me some measurements of the condenser coil thats damaged.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Simon,
I posted this Ebay link on the FB site not sure if it will work there.  Rooted around on ebay and found this new coil....most likely not the correct size.  Never the less, you may find onat a supply house in one of their catalogs....https://www.ebay.com/itm/155474464682?hash=item2433000faa:g:wOAAAOSwfiVkIftn&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4L2ZIZ4oE7oTOaVgQ1Lx9edMc%2Fwq%2FQstu2M83M0I5v2%2BeY0oZYUWAl1LuPtg%2BP%2FsstChssJ%2Fr5mnXPRHMGBu%2FNL0CjozldA06MhAPfOfHCV0gHcCdeHO0Y4kOQesOdn8iXvDo4EE2ydLRNJ%2BDKXa8ESHMnEVBi%2BKaK6WYTRhS%2FsRmNPnqpCBk8DxLxian%2FsrQprMToPeK5Pt4mGCY6IW3wd3FRRcecNHRQkuG8B2SHcq%2F5m8Ioy5E64nUAQePnbwrtYS7cIDciq4eWdSKhGvkIfay2VCLzKqTsSliOnwx31G%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4aNgJaSYg

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(06-06-2023, 03:43 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  I have two Coleman mach basement air heat pumps here for sale, no one is interested in them so I wouldn't mind just parting them out, they worked when removed. Send me some measurements of the condenser coil thats damaged.

Jack,
Do you think, with some modifications, the blower fan could be rotated 90 degrees internally to blow out of the top of the unit?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Am I understanding correctly that your ac's are in L1 in front of steers?!
Mine was built with 2 2ton SCS units, R2 for front and L2 for rear...the ducted minisplit I'm installing is same location...R2 is sealed off and houses the outside unit (which would probably work for you too) L2 houses the ducted inside unit tied into understair return air and then fabbed new ducting to tie into original duct
I vented thru the floor and the ducted unit will take less than half the bay if mounted right
I guess the big question for yours is where to mount which type of inside unit

I am in similar position as Jack, however my 2 units are SCS 2702 that blow upwards if it will help someone

I can't remember how to post pix so as soon as I remember I'll post

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Steve I don't think thats possible with these units. I was informed by Richard that my 2 units are entirely different from that what Simon has but what Simon has are great units.

Sounds like your making progress Arch, if you want to post pictures click "preview post" instead of post reply then just below you'll see a big box that says "attachments", click on the box then find the picture click on it and then click attach. Then click "post reply"

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas