You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Shutdown Circuit

My Kohler 12.5 with the Perkins engine has a mysterious gremlin. I started it the other day going down the highway. All was well. Later in the day I reached up and held down the switch to shut it down. It continued to run. When we stopped for the day i turned of the coach engine and tried to shut off the generator again. It shut down normally. Any ideas? How does this circuit work? Or rather how is it supposed to work?

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

The circuit is a three wire “ground to start, ground to stop” circuit.  It consists of three wires, ground, stop lead, start lead”.  There can be as many switches as desired.  The common problem is a broken or shorted wire.  Process of elimination starts with disconnecting the remote leads at the set, there is a plug/connector.

If you need more help, contact me.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Gordon is this the same for the 20kw sets as well?

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

TJ,  pretty much all the sets used the GTSS (ground to start/stop) three wire scheme across most manufacturers.  Recently (year unknown to me) with the advent of low battery voltage autostart,  found in many charger/inverters, there have been circuits to allow a two wire start/stop operation.  Two wire SS can be achieved in a three wire system with the use of time delay relays.  This scheme closes the start lead for a few seconds then releases.  The same goes for the stop.  The Martin Diesel sets are implementing a microprocessor controller that allows two wire, for the autostart, and three wire for the multiple switches.  I can't offer anything for the Power Tech sets however,  they have been using controllers capable of the same operation.

Will you be around Mid-Ohio this year?

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Mine is just the opposite. It will crank but not start randomly. Gave up on it for the most part. My body has been failing. Battling a torn muscle pain deep near my lungs. I figure I have a 30% chance if it starting normally!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Gordon Thanks. I don't think I'll be east of Colorado this year.

I want to get to the Mid Ohio Indy car race next year.

Dang Simon, sorry to hear about the injury.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Still stumped. Generator will start and stop normally as long as the ignition key is off. When the key is on the generator will start but you can't turn it off.

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121