You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant level low

We just finished our initial cross country trip in our new to us 1995 coach. After 15hrs of driving, I had to put in 2 gals of coolant. I'm not used to that much in any vehicle. Is this normal for the Detroit Diesel? or should I be concerned?

Larry
Coach 392

I would be looking for a leak

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Does your engine have a coolant overflow tank?
My '93 coach #337 didn't, I added one and after a while the level settled out. Until then I was adding coolant. I think there were air pockets and without an overflow tank it would spill out of the overflow tube and just suck in more air when it would cool down.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks, I'll check

I just changed my coolant recovery tank out, yours has a leak or missing then your coolant is draining out on the ground someplace and when the engine cools off it doesn't have a supply to suck it back into the radiator.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack where did you get that tank? That looks great!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks! it was much easier than building one from scratch. Its a fuel tank from ebay had to tig weld a T on the bottom and cut a hole in the top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185373705174

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7342

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Larry, that is not normal. Not trying to alarm you, but trying to protect you. Given the coach is new to you, you might think about collecting an oil sample and sending it to blackstone. IF you have breached the head gasket or cylinder o ring and the coolant is going into the oil that will result in seized bearings. Not saying that is the problem but its 30 bucks well spent for the peace of mind

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If you use Blackstone be sure to get their new shipping envelope and sample kit. The old shipping method used just the black over-pack bottle which, in my case, the USPS lost three of my samples.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(05-06-2023, 12:54 PM)Richard Wrote:  Larry, that is not normal. Not trying to alarm you, but trying to protect you. Given the coach is new to you, you might think about collecting an oil sample and sending it to blackstone. IF you have breached the head gasket or cylinder o ring and the coolant is going into the oil that will result in seized bearings.  Not saying that is the problem but its 30 bucks well spent for the peace of mind

Thanks! I'll get that done.