You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Why you need one if you have T Kane hub caps

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-11203...r=8-1&th=1

This is for you cyber Tuesday, feeling left out, shoppers.

If you will put the proper allen bit in the wrench it makes removing and installing the T Kane hubcap covers a breeze. You will appreciate it IF you have ever tried to remove them using a standard allen key. And it feels like buttah in your hands.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-28-2023, 12:44 PM)I Richard Wrote:  https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-11203...r=8-1&th=1

If you will put the proper allen bit in the wrench it makes removing and installing the T Kane hubcap covers a breeze. You will appreciate it IF you have ever tried to remove them using a standard allen key. And it feels like buttah in your hands.

That’s a good idea Richard. I did use my 1/4” drive ratchet with a 1/4” socket to hold an Allen driver bit. 
So who makes those covers, T Kane?  I really need the brackets that go behind the lug nuts, the brackets on my front wheels are all torn up from the tire guys distorting them.

(11-28-2023, 01:00 PM)[email protected] Wrote:  
(11-28-2023, 12:44 PM)I Richard Wrote:  https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-11203...r=8-1&th=1

That’s a good idea Richard. I did use my 1/4” drive ratchet with a 1/4” socket to hold an Allen driver bit. 
So who makes those covers, T Kane?  I really need the brackets that go behind the lug nuts, the brackets on my front wheels are all torn up from the tire guys distorting them.

A quick search in the google and I found them:
https://www.tkane.com/order.html

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Jeff,

Watch how those brackets distort as you tighten the lugnuts on them.

I had the TKane’s on my previous coach. The brackets distorted outwards when the lugnuts were tightened. I ended up having to rebend the entire bracket, moving the 90 degree bend inward. The cover would not go on until I did that.

Unfortunately, the folks at TKane did not have any suggestions as to why the brackets deformed or how to fix it.

I loved the look, but hated the mechanics behind that look.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Enjoy the look with none of the brackets under lug nuts by using Real Wheel Cover Up Hub Covers. Brackets clamp to the threads outside of the nuts and the covers screw straight on, not side ways.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

(11-28-2023, 07:06 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  Jeff,

Watch how those brackets distort as you tighten the lugnuts on them.

I had the TKane’s on my previous coach.  The brackets distorted outwards when the lugnuts were tightened.  I ended up having to rebend the entire bracket, moving the 90 degree bend inward.  The cover would not go on until I did that.

Unfortunately, the folks at TKane did not have any suggestions as to why the brackets deformed or how to fix it. 

I loved the look, but hated the mechanics behind that look.

Yea, when I put them on after getting my new tires I had to take them back off and hammer on them a bit to get them where they would fit halfway decent. Mine are so bent up and distorted but I was able to get the covers to go on nice and flat after messing with them.

(11-28-2023, 07:12 PM)Trainer Wrote:  Enjoy the look with none of the brackets under lug nuts by using Real Wheel Cover Up Hub Covers.  Brackets clamp to the threads outside of the nuts and the covers screw straight on, not side ways.

Thanks Rudy, yea I have looked at the real wheel covers before. I know some of the Prevost guys were putting those on. I do like the mounting brackets they use. That may be an upgrade for the future. I am still trying to get out from under my to do list of other priority items. Cosmetic items are currently on the back burner.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

One issue with the T Kane brackets is that they are not made to work very well with Budd nuts. They work great with the standard 33 mm nut. The Budd nut just distorts the heck out of them. But you can’t just simply change from a Budd stud centered setup to a standard hub centered setup. Different wheels and different nuts.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(11-29-2023, 05:56 AM)Richard Wrote:  One issue with the T Kane brackets is that they are not made to work very well with Budd nuts. They work great with the standard 33 mm nut. The Budd nut just distorts the heck out of them. But you can’t just simply change from a Budd stud centered setup to a standard hub centered setup. Different wheels and different nuts.

Yea, changing the hubs is not an option. But possibly making some brackets similar to the ones for the real wheels might work. I also am not a big fan of the fact that the nut on the TKane covers is hard to get to catch sometimes. I thought about it just being a fixed threaded hole. I know they did not do that though mainly because of all that flex in the brackets. I will noodle a bit more on this and see what I come up with. I also like the idea of the brackets being attached without having to remove lug nuts.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

That’s interesting the rears mount differently. The folks at TKane never mentioned that. I tried the fronts as a test and never bought the rears.

It sounds like the rears may have a much better mounting system for the Budd wheels/nuts.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I don’t know if you want to do this, but……………on a previous set of aluminum rims with budd nuts, I hogged out the holes to fit around the nuts, drilled and tapped two 1/4 20 holes in the rim between the lug nuts, and attached the brackets with socket head cap screws. Just sayin there are ways to work around the deficiency.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks for the tip!

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO