You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Water Heater

I still, remarkably, have the original gas (only) water heater in my coach....it is now 31 years old, and still going strong. This morning I got up and started the coffee percolator on the stove. I usually put hot water in our coffee cups to preheat them, but when I turned on the hot water I only got lukewarm. About once, or twice a month the pilot light will go out and so I just thought that is what happened and went outside to relight it. It would light, but would not stay on once I released the button. About a year ago I had to remove the pilot light "nozzle" as it was clogged, and was able to clear it out, so I though this was the problem again....the pilot light was there, but seemed smaller than normal.

However that was not the problem. After re-installing it the pilot light, while a little bigger, would still not stay lit. Okay.....maybe it's the thermal coupling....fortunately we were about half a block from a Home Depot....took about 10 minutes to install the new one, and it worked!!! Only cost 11 bux....nice when it is a simple fix.

All that being said, I am going to work on getting a new water heater installed after Spearfish....no point in waiting for the inevitable failure.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Clark , I replaced the hot water heater in the 74' with a similar setup. The new one was a combo gas, electric and motor aid. With auto ignition. If you have interest ill tell you about it.

Jimmy

(05-03-2013, 07:34 PM)Ozarkguy Wrote:  Clark , I replaced the hot water heater in the 74' with a similar setup. The new one was a combo gas, electric and motor aid. With auto ignition. If you have interest ill tell you about it.

Yes I am interested....

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(05-03-2013, 08:17 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  
(05-03-2013, 07:34 PM)Ozarkguy Wrote:  Clark , I replaced the hot water heater in the 74' with a similar setup. The new one was a combo gas, electric and motor aid. With auto ignition. If you have interest ill tell you about it.

Yes I am interested....

I'll gather up some info and photos. And post... Plus we can discuss at Spearfish.

Jimmy

Clark,
I installed a Suburan model SW6DEM combo Gas, 110v Electric w/motor aid and electronic ignition. I removed an original American unit. It was a fairly stright forward installation however I did have to modify the original hole slightly... we're talking 1/4" or so.. I ran a 100 vac from my rear electrical panel over to the WH as well as wires for the new switch which I mounted on the wall. As there was a rear heat supplied by coolent from the engine I just replaced the hoses from the Y fittings (2) on the existing system. I then made a manifold with gate valves in which I could isloate the interior heater from the water heater or control the flow as needed to each (I considered intalling a Temping Valve but chose the old fasion way.. Open as needed) The propane line is already there so no problem there. In my planning I also left provisions to add at a later date a 12V coolent circulation pump to pre-heat the engine..(didn't really need it in AZ) It worked fine as installed had to tweek the engine coolent flow a couple of times to prevent scalding you with the motor aid feature... This model has the 110 vac switch mounted on the outside of the unit, I've seen some that had a double switch panel on the inside so you can choose gas or electric.. wasn't a real problem as it prevents one from accidently selecting electric with no water in the tank... You have to buy the door seperately as there is choices..
I've attached some info and photos.. any questions let me know..

.pdf SW6D-SW6DE-SW6DM-SW6DEM-Installation.pdf Size: 1.27 MB  Downloads: 3

this was the old heater

Jimmy