You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide leak

(11-09-2018, 05:27 PM)encantotom Wrote:  with the slide either in or partially in, feel on the back side of the valence.  you will find nuts that go onto bolts that are implanted in the valence itself.  just feel along the way and remove them as you go.  then left it up and off.  you do need to lift it up as it slides onto a piece that keeps it snug.

tom

Ok Tom got it also still working on leaks but I have the post lights working.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

(11-09-2018, 11:06 AM)PLand Yacht Wrote:  
(11-09-2018, 09:34 AM)3Rs Wrote:  Mike,

To your question: 

"Has anyone had leakage around the hole that the pin drops into? that is real close to where the water appears to be dropping from."  Yes, we experienced this same situation with our coach. 

In our case, it only occurred during a heavy rain. I think water built-up on the awning, then "dumped" over the edge onto the roof of the slide in the front corner.  While at the Newell factory, I had them look into the problem. They thought maybe it was leaking along the top edge of the slide. They applied butal caulk along the top edge and sides of the slide.  Thought it was fixed until the next heavy rain! Not. 

In our case the water dripped/ran in, not on the wall, but just behind the valance.  Upon further inspection and water tests with a hose, I found the leak!  It was at the Pin Hole.  After "digging out" the old caulk around the fitting and recaulking - no more leak - and yes I tested my fix by running water from a hose directly on the slide roof in that area.

You said you applied silcone around the Pin Hole, but maybe you need to re-examine this area.  Hope this helps.

Sounds like the same. Mine leaks behind the valance as well. Tomorrow is supposed to be a clear no rain day. I will clean caulk and check with water hose the pin hole.

Thanks so much for the reply, can’t wait to have a 2 slide coach again :-)

Well, it was not the slide pin hole leaking. It was the joint where slide roof joins the vertical slide wall. The joint was resealed in June, but for some reason about a foot of the roof came loose or popped up breaking the joint in that section. Of course, this was all hidden by the slide topper. I implemented a multiple approach solution.
1. I used 3M adhesive sealant both under the roof, and on the joint to seal.
2. I used West Marine waterproof fabric guard on the topper to reduce water getting on the roof. I applied this with a paint roller and extension pole. Super easy and super effective.
3. I also applied the fabric water proofing to the narrow piece of fabric between side of coach and metal cover on topper
4. Caulked the joint where topper attaches to side of coach, also to help keep water off the roof.

Heavy rains this even, no slide leaks :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model