You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide leak

This morning we had a heavy rain. The slides were out. I went by the coach this evening just to check for leaks. The carpet just as you enter the bedroom next to the pocket air door was slightly damp. I am thinking the water came in from the rear slide (only 2 slide coach). Last week at Newell, Bill Johnson pointed out the silicone pieces where the seal wrinkle at the corner and told me what they did. Is there any reason to suspect the top or the bottom of the seal to be the culprit? I felt the carpet all around the bus, no other dampness. Are there other places that maybe wet that I should check? I do have toppers.
Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

A bright flashlight from the outside and total darkness inside may tell you a lot.

If you decide to use a water hose, start from the bottom and work your way up.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-26-2016, 05:27 PM)Richard Wrote:  A bright flashlight from the outside and total darkness inside may tell you a lot.

If you decide to use a water hose, start from the bottom and work your way up.

Now that sounds like good advice Thanks!

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Was the coach slanted to the curb side or was it level?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(10-27-2016, 08:53 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Was the coach slanted to the curb side or was it level?

Level

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

I now have a new unique front drivers side slide water leak. The water appears to be coming down from the top of the slide on the front outer edge corner where the 2 perpendicular walls join behind the interior valances. I can see it at the top of the coach in the forward corner but appears to be dropping from the roof.

I have sealed both windows on both sides of the corner on the leading edge of the slide, but that was not the fix.
I replaced the silicon corner bead on the leading edge of the slide because it was missing, not the fix.
I have used a flashlight to look under the awning, and the air seal looks tight as best as I can tell due to awning.
The outer skin was re-caulked to the sides in the last year, and that looks good as best as I can tell due to awning.

Has anyone had leakage around the hole that the pin drops into? that is real close to where the water appears to be dropping from. I ran a small bead around it, still leaking.

I tried to remove the side window interior valance by removing the 3 screws on each side but could not get the leading edge loose, the trailing edge of the valance came loose. I was thinking of dismantling the window valances and maybe ceiling to see where the water is coming from.

I am also trying to hire someone local to help me remove the awning for further investigation.

The slide does NOT leak when in! So, like Forest on this thread, I have a 1 slide coach in rainy weather...

Ideas for next steps?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Mike,

To your question: 

"Has anyone had leakage around the hole that the pin drops into? that is real close to where the water appears to be dropping from."  Yes, we experienced this same situation with our coach. 

In our case, it only occurred during a heavy rain. I think water built-up on the awning, then "dumped" over the edge onto the roof of the slide in the front corner.  While at the Newell factory, I had them look into the problem. They thought maybe it was leaking along the top edge of the slide. They applied butal caulk along the top edge and sides of the slide.  Thought it was fixed until the next heavy rain! Not. 

In our case the water dripped/ran in, not on the wall, but just behind the valance.  Upon further inspection and water tests with a hose, I found the leak!  It was at the Pin Hole.  After "digging out" the old caulk around the fitting and recaulking - no more leak - and yes I tested my fix by running water from a hose directly on the slide roof in that area.

You said you applied silcone around the Pin Hole, but maybe you need to re-examine this area.  Hope this helps.

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Former Custodians of the "Rolling R Ranch"
Newell Coach #500 

(11-09-2018, 09:34 AM)3Rs Wrote:  Mike,

To your question: 

"Has anyone had leakage around the hole that the pin drops into? that is real close to where the water appears to be dropping from."  Yes, we experienced this same situation with our coach. 

In our case, it only occurred during a heavy rain. I think water built-up on the awning, then "dumped" over the edge onto the roof of the slide in the front corner.  While at the Newell factory, I had them look into the problem. They thought maybe it was leaking along the top edge of the slide. They applied butal caulk along the top edge and sides of the slide.  Thought it was fixed until the next heavy rain! Not. 

In our case the water dripped/ran in, not on the wall, but just behind the valance.  Upon further inspection and water tests with a hose, I found the leak!  It was at the Pin Hole.  After "digging out" the old caulk around the fitting and recaulking - no more leak - and yes I tested my fix by running water from a hose directly on the slide roof in that area.

You said you applied silcone around the Pin Hole, but maybe you need to re-examine this area.  Hope this helps.

Sounds like the same. Mine leaks behind the valance as well. Tomorrow is supposed to be a clear no rain day. I will clean caulk and check with water hose the pin hole.

Thanks so much for the reply, can’t wait to have a 2 slide coach again :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

On the same subject how do you remove the valance from the slide?

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

with the slide either in or partially in, feel on the back side of the valence. you will find nuts that go onto bolts that are implanted in the valence itself. just feel along the way and remove them as you go. then left it up and off. you do need to lift it up as it slides onto a piece that keeps it snug.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH