You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

series 60 radiator leaking

today i went and got new constant tension spring loaded heavy duty clamps at the kenworth and peterbuilt parts houses. hey, they were having customer appreciation day and i got a great bbq lunch too. plus they had people showing their trucks. one was a semi dragster with a zillion hp 8v92. which he says no one can beat him with.

we will change the clamps, pressurize it back up and try again looking for leaks in the morning

we are having a nice time with darlenes brother and his wife.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Inquiring minds want to know. Leak fixed OR radiator out?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes they do..... My JB Weld on the cap stem still leaked today, so applied the "Quick se" which is supposed to work up to 2460lb. We will see tomorrow. also 'simple greened" the radiator on the genset and heat exchanger in the front bay and got chocolate milk until the third application. Might have moved the pressure up a bit, but hope for the best and for you too Tom......

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

it is still holding pressure and no drips. will leave a couple of more days pressurized as we wont make a decision until monday.

one mechanic we talked to today said he would not take it out and potentially cause more problems if the dripping was fixed now.

so, not sure.

so instead we spent the day cutting up the concrete and fixing a leak on my brotherinlaws indoor pool. just got it done. wayne cut the hole in the concrete such that we installed pavers directly into it and it looks nice.

tom

That's good news.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Tom,
That is very good news!!!

Larry,
I have had limited success with JB Weld on radiators. Seems to hold for only a limited time if any. I developed a very small crack on the tank of my genset. I found a Permatex product that I believe has fixed it. It is "Gas Tank & Radiator Repair", item #80884. I say I believe it has fixed it because I have only run it for an hour since the fix, but it looks good.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80884-Tan...B000BKC2HI

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve,, I will pick some up just in case my newest seal job doesn't hold. I also finally spoke with Girard and found the problem and do feel dumb I didn't think of this.
First, I needed to return the awning to the full out position in line with where I replaced the fabrics. Then use the bottom limiter control and turn it towards negative and each full turn equals 1" and continue until at the open position desired. That's it....
For the letting out you use the top limiter from the closed position the same way. Limiter switch won't adjust unless the awning is in the previously stopped position to start the adjustment...

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

Larry,
It is always something simple, but I've been reading their instructions and never saw it described that way. Glad you got it fixed!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The instructions for window awnings are vague at best and as we found different then the patio awnings.

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

an update

we have been replacing all the clamps with heavy tbolt constant tension ones. it has not leaked the last two days.

however, we were at the peterbuilt shop today (hey its fun to hang out with my brother in law and i got to ride in his cement truck) and they suggested that 10 years was time for replacing the radiator hoses. so we will get some new silicone ones and at replace the one at the back as long we have it all tore out.

we will get them tomorrow and install them and let them pressurize for a day or two.

i am not going to take the radiator out. it has not been leaking at nighttime temps and with high pressure any more. we think it might have been all those bolts and nuts on the end tanks, but it might have been the back radiator hose that dripped down as it was leaking. and the one at the front had clearly been leaking a long time as it was rusty underneath it.

ends up my wifes mother is not doing great so we are going to stay until things get straightened out.

and i am working my brains out with my brotherinlaws concrete fence biz. man...i am not used to hard physical labor.

tom