You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Internet

What is the best way to get internet so that kids can watch netflix while we are traveling?Huh

I have an AT&T hotspot that I use. We streamed Netflix using it most of the way back to Oklahoma from Destin. You just need to find one that has unlimited data or it could get expensive!!

Coachman,

Watching video on the net is a data gobbling activity. If on a cell connection, you will blow through even the most generous data plan in no time at all. Plus the providers will eventually throttle you down to unusable speeds for hogging the data stream for other users on the cell system. There are several unlimited data plans available today. But you will quickly find you can have unlimited data slowly, not near fast enough for watching videos. And if in motion down the road, the connection will probably be not be fast enough to stream without numerous interruptions.

On Wifi at a park, video hogs the bandwidth slowing all users to a miserable rate. Some parks watch for data hogs and cut them off so the others can look at their e-mail and surf the net. At Spearfish, we had poor cell coverage on Verizon and the park's Wifi equipment was in the shop for repair.

Moderate priced Satellite data service is slower than cell service plus you need the equipment to lock onto the satellite and receive the signal. Fast Satellite service is many hundreds of dollars per month. They are all concerned with how much data you download per hour and the less expensive services will throttle you down to a snails pace for a 24 hour period with no notice. However, at any price level, you can download to a hard drive with no data limits from 2 am to 7 am eastern time on the satellite services.

Perhaps you can carry DVDs of a number of videos. Or, while on a cable connection at home, down load to a hard drive the videos you wish to watch.

Wish I had a better idea. All the best in solving this challenge.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

afrench,

Happy to hear of your success with Netflix. One leg of a trip should not hit the data watchers radar I'll bet. But I sure do read of numerous folks that exceed 20 gigs of data on unlimited data plans and get throttled.

I have a friend that is a park manager and he will cut off a user of his Wifi that is streaming video. And, I have stayed at several parks that stated no streaming on their Wifi.

I think this will be a challenge if used often and regularly.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

A friend of mine has a video server where he has collected a bunch of movies onto a disk drive. (Actually, I think that Tom M has one as well). Anyway, once you have a bunch of movies, the kiddies can select and watch whatever they want. Just like a mini-Netflix. I takes a while to rip movies to the disk but once you do, you will have them forever. I think in Toms setup, he can take the movies from the bus to the house and back again.

Just a thought.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I guess redbox and home dvds will be my best choice.