You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

using external water supply

I am in a California RV park for several weeks and I tried to connect to the parks water supply. My plan was to use the city water pressure and supply, close the valve closest to the tank to accumulate black water, and drain the grey water continuously. The tank filled but the auto shut off valve did not stop the water from overflowing the tank. If the auto shut off valve works properly when the tank is full, how do I take advantage of the cities water pressure without having to use my pump? Am I using an incorrect procedure to connect to the city water supply?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

My coach has a City / Tank switch located in water bay and a second City / Tank switch in the galley. I put that switch in the City position to take water directly from the hose bib located in the water bay. (I forget how the switch is actually labeled, but I am sure that one part of label is "city").

The auto-fill overflowing is a second issue. There is a valve that controls that in the water bay, and in my case a little weep hole got plugged up in the valve keeping it from working. (There is another thread on the autofill valve issue). I would leave the autofill switch in the "OFF" position.

Once you turn the switch to city and connect the water to the bib (mine is in lower right of water bay), then you should be able to use the pressure coming from the city. (I have not tried this, but think I would be able to turn pump off at that point).

cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

On mine you have to raise the valve handle between the supply & tank. That keeps the tank from filling and you operate off city supply

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Mine works the same as Steve's. Cut it off and no water goes into the tank and city water pressure goes directly to inside coach. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Steve and Chappell, mine must work the same. Now I need to find which valve you are referring to. Bill, I do not have a switch like you describe.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Below the brass regulator there should be a 3/4" water line going to the fresh water tank. There is a valve there that allows you to either fill or isolate the tank from the city water fill. There is also another 3/4" line going to the water pumps.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I found the correct valve and everything works great. Thanks

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

We had this same problem for some time till i figured out we had open .close valve between tanks and I never close or open it.
So, every time I fill the water water would never shut off , it would overflow under the coach , big mess in many situations!!!
No I make sure we have valve switch to right position every time we are hooked up for longer periods of time, problem solved.

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb