You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Drive axle air bag replacment

Well the time has come. I need to replace the 4 air bags on the drive axle. I did the front and tag last winter and I am pretty familiar with this process but I do have a few questions for anyone who has done the drive bags. getting to the 2 back side bags looks pretty easy, getting the lines off and pulling the fitting so you can drop the bag. but looking at the 2 front drive bags it looks nearly impossible to get up in there and get the lines off extremly tight area. Any suggestions from someone who has tackled this job would be greatly appreciated. ON the last bags I did I had to get up there with a blow torch to heat the fittings so they would come loose. doesnt look like enough room to do that on the front drive bags. Please drop me a pm, I can give ya my phone number or give me yours. bag has blown so gotta get done.  Thank you.  Richard I know I saw a post from you about doing them..

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

Wrench that fits, four lb engineers hammer to hit the wrench, cut the fitting on the air bag off with a sawzall. Readers digest condensed how to. Angled wrenches help to spin the nut off.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

X2 on Richard's post....Highly recommend getting an angle wrench, if you can, if not these are the tools I had to use....1/8 turn with the combo wrench, 1/8 turn with the crescent wrench, flip crescent wrench then 1/16 turn, then the ford wrench for another 1/8 turn.....you get the idea.  I took all four to get it tightened.....a real pain but doable. Almost forgot, a short length of pipe for the final torque.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-991414-4-In...r=8-7&th=1

Check your size before ordering. I have learned that Newell used different sized fittings from coach to coach.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Mine measured out to be 1 7/16.  So at Northern Tool they could not find an angled wrench in the store at the last minute.  They also did not have a 1 7/16 combo wrench so I picked up a combination wrench in 38mm.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

The lines going to my bags are 1 1/2". So has anyone ever disreguarded the giganic air line going to the bags and replace with a smaller line ?  I know the new coaches have 3/8 airline going to the. Also I was wondering if you could bypass the welded in tanks and just pull air of the primary round tank. I got to tackle this pretty quick so just trying to find out what others have done

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

Adam , Check my thread titled "Air bags for 316" We did what I think you are considering. I plumbed to the square tanks. Richard has bypassed the tanks. Check his thread for that info.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

TY will look at that now. I want to bypass the tanks or change the plumbing

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

Dont forget tag axle bags get their air from the welded in tanks. Follow the lines.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad