You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alaska

We are going on a 62 day Alaska trip next year.  I am hesitant to take our Coach on the trip (due to road conditions) on the trip and I am considering buying an older class A for the trip.  I have talked to many people and the opinions vary from " you will be fine" to I would never take a Newell on the trip.

I am looking for folks with actual experience to give me their opinions.

Thanks in advance

Ken & Karen
2015 Newell (Coach #1517)

Richard and Ronda did the trip last year here is the thread. If we do it we would fly in and rent a class c to cruise the state.

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7211

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

We did it in 2019 in our 36' Foretravel and had no problems. Don't think a 45' Newell would have any problems either. But there may be limited spots for a 45' and not every place will have 50 amp hookup, 30 amp is more available.
Read through Richard's post of their trip since it was last year.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Fly in and rent. I had Alaska on my bucket list to drive there but after Richards review, I would just fly in and take in the sights as a tourist.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

The distance through Canada is around 2500 miles to Alaska if you cross in the west. The speed limit in most areas is 45mph and we drove that speed so we could slow down rapidly when hitting a frost heave. Most are marked but lots aren't. You'll quickly learn how to spot them in time to slow down. The biggest deterrent I think is the lack of large campsites. They are there but the caravans fill them up quickly. Best thing to do is download the itineraries from the caravan sites so you can avoid them.
Either way it is an awesome trip.
One tip if you like campfires and stay at Provincial campgrounds in Canada. Firewood is provided but it's not split so bring an axe. We had to scrounge around after people left to find split wood.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

kmeinke

It seems like about half of the people (mostly Newell and Prevost folks) say "No problem", while the other half say "no way"

Ken,

I've been sneered at, as well, when I take the "NO WAY" stance, braced by folks who tell me "That's what we bought a motorhome for, to enjoy it. Sure, it may get beat up, but that's part of the enjoyment!"

And...that's when I usually leave the conversation!  LOL

Fact is...I'm the only one who knows how I like the condition of, and suffering the problems of, our coach if I were to take it into an area in which others may not care what happens.

I think that's exactly what you're running into.  You and Karen will ultimately decide where you are in the spectrum of enduring whatever "may" happen, versus just taking it in stride.  Pretty sure you know where I stand... Big Grin
kmeinke

Simon,
Thanks for the link.  It seems like about half of the people (mostly Newell and Prevost folks) say "No problem", while the other half say "no way"

kmeinke

Simon,
Thanks for the link.  It seems like about half of the people (mostly Newell and Prevost folks) say "No problem", while the other half say "no way"

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA