You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power steering suddenly out #1261, 2009

Ok. Looks like the only help will come via Newell. Cambri, bless her soul, searched around and found a company that will remanufacture the exact model pump and ship it overnight. I opted to send it to Newell and have them come here to install it because they know about the splined bearing that needs to be replaced with it as well. And if they do it, there is a warrenty.

No hydraulic repair shop will touch this unless they can find parts for it. They are scared by the number, since its unique. They also don't take the hillbilly aproach (like I would) and fix the shaft by welding and re-shaping the welded area to be like the original splines. Nobody fixes things anymore......

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

When I said the only help, I meant the only paid professional services such as rebuilding, sourcing, etc. Just to be clear.....You guys.....and this forum are great and make it reasonable to own one of these without having my own personal traveling garage staff (or psychiatrist, as my wife says).....

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Hi,
This has happened twice to #1218 it was the drive gear in the auxiliary case, this gear drives both the fuel pump and the power steering pump, it wears off the internal splines of the gear and the pump, the Cat gear is softer than the Eaton pump! a new pump may work for a while but it will wear the pump splines off very quickly. a replacement gear was available at Caterpillar Belgium and was quite easy to fit, you can also replace the shaft it's an Eaton Vicars pump and spare shafts are available in Italy!!
The biggest worry is that all the metal fragments have gone into your engine oil!! I took my sump off and cleaned it, quite a lot of fine metal in the sump.

#1218 in Europe based in the UK