You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Detroit Diesel Series 60 Air Compressor issue?

So after a visit from a great diesel mechanic with amazingly sensitive ears! We discovered the main source of the leak, at least on the white needle of the dual needle brake gauge.

Under the dash is the primary brake manifold (your pedal attaches to it) and among several air lines there are some larger ones that come up from the primary and secondary air tanks. One was leaking very badly. But since the air was traveling down the hose, it wasn't making enough noise to be heard. We got new ends (swivel 90 degrees) and replaced the bad one.

Now I have the White needle essentially static when no air is being fed to it. However the Red one and the Supply one are still dropping rapidly. 90 to 70psi in about 20 minutes.

We only had one of the swivel 90's to use, as I had no idea those sizes were there. I will be buying several more and replacing the other one and perhaps some of the smaller ones I havent done yet.

Maybe that will stop the leak on the Red and supply side.

Steve Magown is/was/and will be a tremendous help and a Gentlemen!

The assist, phone a friend award goes to Richard and Jack, who were extremely helpful. Jack even fired up his coach and did leak down timing tests with texted photos. We were able to use that as a baseline. Invaluable.

Not perfect, but far better than when we began

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Messages In This Thread