You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Connecting Alternator to Lithium House Batteries

I'm switching my house batteries to Lithium.  Trying to figure out the best way to install protection for the Alternator if I leave it hooked up to the house battery bank.  I know the low charge resistance of the lithium batteries will cause the alternator to burn out.  What I don't know is the best way to deal with it and how to actually do it.

For now I am leaving my house system as a 12v system to simply the install and to keep the price down. I will continue using my existing inverter and won't need a DC to DC inverter to feed the 12v house systems and can hook them up directly to my 12v bus bar.

So my questions:

How and where is the alternator usually wired into the house system on Newells or your Newell?

What equipment would you recommend I install to protect my alternator? And details on how to install said equipment.

Or do I even need to hook the alternator up to the house battery bank?  What are the cons to disconnecting the house side from the alternator completely and only using it to charge the engine batteries?  I know some of them but I'm sure your collective wisdom can enlighten me.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

Messages In This Thread