You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

tag axle tire wear

I have two Kenworth straight trucks (24' boxes) which run in excess of 56,000 lbs 100% of the time. They have passive steer tag axles on them. They never last as long as the drive tires (tandom drive axles with duels). We also run oversized steer tires and they don't last long either, lucky to get 20,000 miles out of them. And yes we have had the trucks aligned several times.

So I think it is safe to say passive and fixed tags don't typically last as long as drive tires. I'm sure in large part it has to do with less weight on the tags so they are the ones which do the most sliding in tight turns. With the passive tags you also get additional motion with the tire, even when going straight, which I'm sure adds to premature wear.

The active steer tags should eliminate most of the wear caused by sliding around turns, so I have no doubt those tires will last longer than passive steer and fixed tag axle tires.

Messages In This Thread
tag axle tire wear - by encantotom - 08-18-2012, 01:50 PM
RE: tag axle tire wear - by Richard - 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM
RE: tag axle tire wear - by whatsnewell - 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM
RE: tag axle tire wear - by rheavn - 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM
RE: tag axle tire wear - by Wally Arntzen - 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
RE: tag axle tire wear - by Doug Musick - 11-19-2018, 12:22 PM