You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Broken Air Chamber Bracket

In prep for our upcoming trip, I was crawling around under the coach with the grease gun. Much to my surprise, I saw this when I went under the rear.

This officially qualifies as Houston, We have a problem. You may be able to see the brake chamber is about 180 degrees from where it is supposed to be. Further examination shows the brake chamber is mounted to a bracket, and the bracket is bolted to the backside of the drive wheels with 4 5/8 bolts.

The mounting ears on the bracket failed. When I look at the ears, it looks like the failure occured over time. There is very little fresh fracture area, and most of the broken area appears that it is hammered smooth. That would have happened each time the brakes were applied and the bracket tried to rotate.

Now comes the fun part. Inside the bracket tube is the rod that turns to activate the cam for the brakes. The design feature that kept the bracket captured was that the inboard end of the rod has the slack adjuster attached via circlip.

But...........there was not enough room to slide the bracket off the rod. And to take the rod out meant taking the wheels off the coach. So I put the ears back in place with the bolts, clamped the bracket in place with c clamps and tacked the ears back on. I then could move it out of the confined space enough to get the welder to it. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the fix, but I was pretty covered in grease and dirt, and getting out the phone for a photo op was not on my priority list.

I'll go ahead and try to find a replacement to have as a spare. That way it'll guarantee this one doesn't break.

Needless to say I didn't have brakes or e brakes on that wheel. I don't know how long it's been that way, as I haven't been under the rear for several months. I guess the moral of the story is it wouldn't hurt to shine a light around occasionally to see what you can seen under there.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
Broken Air Chamber Bracket - by Richard - 09-01-2014, 05:40 PM
RE: Broken Air Chamber Bracket - by lbrachfe - 09-01-2014, 05:55 PM
RE: Broken Air Chamber Bracket - by bikestuff - 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM
RE: Broken Air Chamber Bracket - by Ozarkguy - 09-01-2014, 07:07 PM
RE: Broken Air Chamber Bracket - by lbrachfe - 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM
RE: Broken Air Chamber Bracket - by bikestuff - 09-02-2014, 05:12 AM
RE: Broken Air Chamber Bracket - by bikestuff - 09-02-2014, 05:44 AM