You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What is the blue light from our screens really doing to our eyes?

Diet and lack of routine continual daily exercise (think old time farming) are bigger contributors to AMD (macular degeneration) than any normal light exposure. UV light certainly isn't the best thing out there, but there are larger contributors in the average lifestyle.

The lack of blinking (which we all do with any near task that we think about), creates much more extreme dry eye issues for heavy CRT users. Age and diet also play heavy roles in dry eye. The women experience it worse than men (usually).

Cataracts aren't really that big of a deal anymore. While early cataracts might cause some lifestyle issues, you'd really need to be younger than 45 or so to really see much impact. Further, I'll bet within 10, maybe as much as 15 years, we actually will be doing "cosmetic" cataract surgery on younger patients. They're already using bifocal contact lens technology for cataract implants- which for type B personalities can have you seeing clear enough, both distance and near, to eliminate normal spectacle usage. It's only a matter of time before technology brings us implants that truly focus, giving the type A folks acceptable glasses free vision. At that time, you won't go buy a pair (or several pairs Wink ) of readers, you'll get cataract surgery instead.

I don't believe that doing the surgery early is a bad thing. You'll heal faster, experience less complications and get to enjoy the results longer.

So, while the shorter wavelength lights aren't especially good for us, we've got much worse cultural issues to deal with first (like does anybody really need a "super sized" meal???)

As the most interesting man in the world SHOULD be saying:

Stay healthy, my friends!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Messages In This Thread