You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Broken Tire lugs

After being convinced by Tom that my tires were covered by the Michelin Advantage program, (a benefit of being an FMCA member) I found a place and replaced all 8 tires with Michelin XZE2. To start I saved $170. from original price then if you figure that I saved on no sales tax here in NH the savings jumps to about $220 each. But, everything was going great till they went to the last two tires on the passenger side drive axle. The guy was taking the outside nuts off and SEVEN lugs broke off. It was obvious they had been over 85% cracked for some time as the surface was rusted.
Now what to do! They tried their pound on stud removed which just striped the shank. I called Newell and they said the only way was to weld a nut on the remaining stud. The fellows there would not weld on the coach but I said I would do the welding and noticed a small wire feeder with no wire. I convinced them to let me weld and they sent for some wire and new lugs (10). I was able after some trials to finally get the lugs off. I was welding and running the air wrench while they were taking care of others. We arrived at 9 am and left at 8:30 pm. Oh as I was double checking the air pressure I noticed that the inside stem valves were loose which led to having to take the tires off and break the bead and tighten properly then re mount and re Torque. The original torque was at 475 ft lbs Newell said it should be at 425 ft lbs so again they had to re torque. Oh they also found one of the inside stem valve extensions to be worn just about through from rubbing on the sheet metal piece which was part of a wheel balance add on. It looks like there may be a pin hole but I always kept an eye on the air pressure.
Between the worn extension and the cracked lugs disaster was at the door. We were blessed to have had the course of events happen as they did that led up to us being able to get new tires. AND the difference of a ride the new tires give is like day and night. I used to have to slow below the posted speed when going into a corner but not now. It's like riding on a cloud.
A BIG thanks to Tom and the Help at Newell.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Messages In This Thread
Broken Tire lugs - by Brad Townsend - 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM
RE: Broken Tire lugs - by RussWhite - 09-08-2012, 03:27 PM
RE: Broken Tire lugs - by Brad Townsend - 09-09-2012, 03:38 AM
RE: Broken Tire lugs - by folivier - 09-09-2012, 09:14 AM
RE: Broken Tire lugs - by RussWhite - 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
RE: Broken Tire lugs - by Brad Townsend - 10-02-2012, 03:25 AM