You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide Trim

Winters on the ocean are hard on the Newell.

The attached image shows rust that I am in the process of dealing with. The trim piece has obviously been removed. The bulging of that trim was what alerted me to the issue.

I cut the trim with a small rotary cutter at the ends of the front slide. The trim was held on by adhesive. The product looks a lot like a thick double sided tape. By pulling hard at the top of the trim I was able to eventually separate the trim from the underlying steel. The surface rust was bad enough that the adhesive stayed on the trim and just pulled away the rust and the trim came off.
I will treat the steel with my favorite rust inhibitor - POR15 - and then put the trim back on.

But, why I am posting is for suggestions on how I might put the trim back on. For me, access is always better than no access, and the adhesive way pretty much makes it permanently on.
I would not mind at all seeing the heads of a few small fasteners on the trim strip. But I worry about the steel, aluminum, and fastener interface - from a corrosion standpoint. Also I have never been very successful at tapping - I 'm good with the drilling part, but usually break something during the tapping part ( cheap taps maybe ).
I have thought about adhesive, but using much less than Newell did hoping I could pull it off later if need be. I would like to be able to inspect the area in the future.

So, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks - Russ

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Messages In This Thread
Slide Trim - by RussWhite - 09-13-2012, 09:35 AM
RE: Slide Trim - by rheavn - 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM
RE: Slide Trim - by Ozarkguy - 09-13-2012, 11:03 AM
RE: Slide Trim - by Chester Stone - 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM
RE: Slide Trim - by lbrachfe - 09-13-2012, 05:01 PM