You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Propane Gas Smell

Guys once this summer we pulled over because we thought we smelled propane. I used a propane detector and could not find anything. The smell ceased. I have had a gas detector alarm in the coach the last couple of years and it's never gone off. Which brings me to today. 

The coach was winterized a week ago. I pulled it out of the barn today and drive it to my house to empty it of things for the winter. As I worked in some of the bays I kept getting a slight smell of propane. I checked and the main valve was closed. It has been closed for several weeks. We could smell it inside the coach a little as well. The tank is about half full. 

Any ideas of how it could be creating a smell if it's shut off?  I read online there is a pressure release valve. However, it seems that this only activates if the tank is overfilled. My tank is only half full so I assume it should not be venting right???

I think I will take it to the RV place here in town and have them hunt this smell down. Maybe do a pressure check to see if there is a leak. Any other ideas or suggestions guys?  A gas leak scares the heck out of me. 

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Messages In This Thread
Propane Gas Smell - by Flick - 10-10-2015, 07:39 PM
RE: Propane Gas Smell - by Ozarkguy - 10-11-2015, 04:32 AM
RE: Propane Gas Smell - by HoosierDaddy - 10-11-2015, 05:22 AM
RE: Propane Gas Smell - by prairieschooner - 10-11-2015, 07:30 AM
RE: Propane Gas Smell - by Flick - 10-11-2015, 09:23 AM
RE: Propane Gas Smell - by Flick - 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM
RE: Propane Gas Smell - by prairieschooner - 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM