You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

hard start / fuel pump replacement

I'm having a similar problem and I'm thinking fuel pump.

When the tank is full, it will start and run endlessly. At something less than 1/2 a tank, I've never had it below 1/4 tank, it stumbles and drags down, then recovers, after several cycles of the RPM dropping and recovering, it will stop.

I thought, initially that it was the little filter, but it only had 50 hrs on it. So I got a bright Idea and added a 2 micron filter with a water trap from Racor between the tank and the electric pump. I've had this Racor unit before and it's really effective at water separation and filtering. Now I'm thinking the little electric pump may have been rewired by a previous owner to only prime the motor and not run full time.

I see an older electric pump disconnected and abandoned in the genset area. So Prior work may have tried to solve a similar problem.

Today, I'm going to add a few "Tee's" in the system and check for pressure or vacuum. I hope to have 5psi of better prior to the Engine and I'm curious what the vacuum is prior to the electric pump This will tell me if I've added too much filter, or the electric pump is working or wired wrong.

Your Thoughts ?

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Messages In This Thread
hard start / fuel pump replacement - by Richard - 03-16-2016, 05:34 AM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by Erniee - 03-16-2016, 04:43 PM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by Richard - 04-01-2016, 01:22 PM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by DK on the road - 09-23-2018, 07:39 AM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by Richard - 09-23-2018, 08:16 AM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by bestgenman - 09-23-2018, 09:14 AM
RE: hard start / fuel pump replacement - by DK on the road - 09-23-2018, 09:59 AM