You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

led interior lights replacing halogen

hi,

my coach has over 70 of the round halogen puck lights.

the 10w halogen bulb draws about .8 amps dc. (i measured one tonite) the 20w draws 1.6 amps. (hey you could calculate that easy enough as well)

darlene and i like the cool white/bright white color for lighting. so i bought a bunch of the round g4 replacement led's to experiment with and then settled on the one below for the bulk of the fixtures.

it is has 12 5050 led's. it draws 160ma. or .16am.

for the bigger round fixtures i used a 15 5050 led g4 one. this particular one is too big to use in the round puck lights. these bigger fixtures used a 20w halogen bulb. these halogen bulbs get really hot.

the led g4's get hot but nothing like the halogens.

it takes some work to convert. i did the bedroom tonite and had already done the front of the coach. i just have the two bathrooms left now.

once you take the cover off the puck lights (they rotate slightly to come off) then take the old halogen bulb out. then you have to take the reflector out. i used a small curved pick tool to pry it out over the tabs. to make these round leds fit, it has to come out to make space for them.

then the round g4 led has to be modified slightly. take the plastic piece off that is pushed over the 2 pins. it has to come off so it will push completely into the fixture. then with mine i had to trim the leads down. you can decide if you need to do that but i had to on all of mine.

then you can try them in the fixture. you have a 50/50 chance they will work. led's are polarity dependent, and halogen/typical light bulbs are not. so no one paid attention to what side positive or negative was attached to the fixture. if it doesnt work, turn the bulb upside down and you will see if towrks. then if so, you have to take the fixture out of the ceiling and reverse the wires. not hard, just takes time. the puck lights are a tight friction fit, but will come out if you are patient.

the light is as bright or brighter and a clean white light. if you dont like the cool white, you can get the bulbs in the warm light that is closer to the color temperature of the original halogen bulbs.

if i did the math right, with 70 lights replaced and 70x.8=56amps dc. and now is 70x.16=11.2a dc 20% of the original load.

they dim using the dimmers in the coach as well.

btw, i bought the led's on ebay from china. paid $1.78 shipped each.

later

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Messages In This Thread
led interior lights replacing halogen - by encantotom - 10-20-2012, 10:53 PM
RE: led interior lights replacing halogen - by whatsnewell - 10-21-2012, 06:39 AM
RE: led interior lights replacing halogen - by prairieschooner - 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM
RE: led interior lights replacing halogen - by encantotom - 10-21-2012, 11:19 AM
RE: led interior lights replacing halogen - by prairieschooner - 10-21-2012, 01:47 PM
RE: led interior lights replacing halogen - by Flick - 10-21-2012, 10:06 PM
RE: led interior lights replacing halogen - by rheavn - 01-13-2013, 09:35 AM
RE: led interior lights replacing halogen - by encantotom - 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM
RE: led interior lights replacing halogen - by encantotom - 01-13-2013, 10:09 AM