You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

6cyl, 8cyl, tag or single axle, 6 speed or 4 speed?

I'm still doing my research on which Newell to buy. Most of the issues are around carpet, curtains, mattresses and paint. However, I'm still not sure what to decide when it comes to the minor point of which engine, axle and transmission is the best choice.

If I were considering a new coach that decision would be easier but I'm in the classic mode, '84 to '89, and there are options.

On offer are 6V92, 8V92, 8V60, single axle, tag axle, 4 speed and 6 speed. So many choices. What's a guy to do. I feel like the only guy at a girl's school social.

Does a 2 stroke 6V suck more fuel than an 8V four stroke? If the same couch had one or the other would the fuel consumption matter when going down the highway with cruise control in charge. Is fuel consumption the most important issue? If the 2 stroke 6 has turbo will it run as strongly as a 4 stroke 8 or is that the issue I should be concerned about? Should I be definitely more interested in one or the other?  

Is a tag axle necessary? And why or when? Is it worth the additional weight, maintenance and tires?

Why would I want 6 speed rather than 4 speed transmission and vise versa? Are the top gear ratios the same so the difference is just a smoother transition between gears or are some transmission geared lower for different needs?

The options are open at this stage. Next week I'm heading out on a road trip to check out several coaches around the country and hoping to return in a week or two with a prize. I've got six to eight nice coaches on my list but don't know for sure about these questions. Price and operating costs are a concern for me.  If I could clear up this confusion it will be a prize not a puzzle.

After I make my choice, with your help, I will be having a professional inspection done and would appreciate any recommendations you might have on that issue also.

Looking forward to your opinions on this.
Mike

Messages In This Thread