You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

6cyl, 8cyl, tag or single axle, 6 speed or 4 speed?

I have a 1987 widebody with the tag axle and the 8V92 and 4 spd Allison - I average 6 mpg with the generator running most of the time.

Owning a ~30 year old motorhome isn't for those with shallow pockets. As much as I LOVE mine, it isn't cheap, but it is EXACTLY what I wanted in a motorhome and more! We are so comfortable in it riding down the road & when parked. So, it isn't too expensive for us.

For me, when it comes to the total cost of ownership, fuel cost is way, way down the list.

The difference between 4.5 mpg & 7.5 mpg for a 1000 mile trip is 89 gallons.
--- If $200 makes that big of a difference, then I would suggest you pursue a different activity. Annual maintenance costs are stronger than you may think & on a 30 year old coach, there will be surprises.
Besides, a fuel fill-up is usually the cheapest part of my trip, if I am in the Newell, I know that I'll have a clean restroom whenever I need one!

Like has been said above- the condition of the drive train in the coach you are looking at is way more important than the carpet or fuel mileage.

Also, with production numbers of around 30 per year, you won't be able to be too picky - there simply aren't that many to choose from. I got incredibly lucky when I found mine.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Messages In This Thread