You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Awning + Wind = Broken arm

Gang,

My Girard G-2000 awning was out this afternoon when a pop-up thunderstorm came by.  A sudden gust of wind got the awning before the whirligig thing brought the awning in.  The awning bounced quite a bit and I noticed the joint of one arm was broken.  I brought the awning in and it came mostly in.  It probably is 3 inches from the normally closed position.  (When it came in, it made quite a racket).

So my questions are:

1)  Has anyone replaced an arm on these things?  
I did find a video from Girard that shows the steps (online video)
2)  The awning is 13 years old and has been used a lot.  Even though the fabric seems to be in good condition, would it be better to replace the whole thing?  
3)  Are there any alternatives to Girard electric awnings that should be considered?
4)  (Probably most important)  What keeps the awning from going out when driving? Should I be concerned about it coming undone while on the road?  (I know the zip dee awnings will fly out unless locked down...but am not sure if the Girard can go out without the motor running.
5)  I have looked at the Girard site for authorized repair vendors and the only ones close by look pretty shady.  (hehe...shady...get it???!)

I'm in Auburn Alabama right now and will probably have to drive to a repair facility.

Thanks!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Messages In This Thread
Awning + Wind = Broken arm - by bikestuff - 06-26-2016, 12:39 PM
RE: Awning + Wind = Broken arm - by folivier - 06-26-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Awning + Wind = Broken arm - by bikestuff - 06-26-2016, 02:30 PM