You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Merge dash switch

There are other threads that talk about this...but I think the answer is mixed into other thoughts....so here goes...

The merge switch activates a relay in the rear electrical panel. Its purpose is to merge the house and engine batteries. It needs to get power to do its thing. That power can come from either the engine batteries or the house batteries. The switch lets you choose between the two. In one position, the power comes from the house battery, in the other from the engine battery. I am not sure how your switch is wired so trial and error is the way to get it to work.

You may wonder why? In one case, you leave the key on and kill the engine battery....you need to activate the merge using the house voltage.
In another case, you drain the house batteries by leaving TVs on over a long period. In order to start charging the house batteries, you can merge with the engine batteries (hopefully with engine running)...obviously using the engine batter to operate solenoid.

Newell has recommended to me to leave the batteries merged all the time. I cannot bring myself to do that. I usually only merge if it is really, really cold outside and want some extra power to start the engine.

Finally, the merge solenoid is a known failure spot. Newell recommends changing the solenoid on a regular basis (like annually or bi-annually). The thinking is that we need to change the solenoid before it fails.

Hope this helps.
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Messages In This Thread
Merge dash switch - by InfiLights - 07-08-2016, 07:34 AM
RE: Merge dash switch - by bikestuff - 07-08-2016, 08:11 AM
RE: Merge dash switch - by InfiLights - 07-08-2016, 09:16 AM
RE: Merge dash switch - by RussWhite - 07-08-2016, 09:43 AM
RE: Merge dash switch - by Fulltiming - 07-08-2016, 09:49 AM
RE: Merge dash switch - by InfiLights - 07-08-2016, 10:11 AM
RE: Merge dash switch - by 77newell - 07-08-2016, 12:43 PM