You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Campgrounds with length limits

Many State and National Parks have RV areas that were built many years ago and due to terrain or trees, will not accept large RV's. The length limit will vary from park to park but I found after I upgraded from a 28' Airstream to a 34' Airstream I had to be much more careful in choosing State and National Parks. I typically don't bother to check public parks since I have had a Newell although some have adequate facilities. Most State and National Parks have private parks nearby that will accommodate large coaches. I have found that other than State and National Parks, the majority of RV parks will accept 45'ers. However, some private parks, especially in areas that are heavily wooded, were designed for much smaller RV's and some that tell you they can handle a 45'er are way to tight for my comfort (I have had some issues with older KOA parks in wooded areas being tight enough that it was difficult if not impossible to avoid scrapping the coach on tree branches). That said, I rarely have trouble finding an RV Park that you can get a 45'er into. If I am not familiar with a park, I use Google Earth to see if it looks like it has wide enough turns within the park to get through. I use RVParkReviews.com to see what kind of comments I find regarding the condition of the park and space limitations. The publication "Big Rigs Best Bets" is a good resource in that it lists specific parks and sites that a 45'er can use. I try to call ahead, even if only an hour or two away from the park and tell them I am in a 45' bus towing a car. Most of the time, the response is, come on in.

All that being said, I rarely have difficulty finding a park that will accommodate a 45'er. Since I like to use my DirecTV dish, I try to avoid parks with lots of trees and when I avoid lots of trees most size limitation issues go away also. There are lots of really great parks for large coaches but occasionally I have to give up a more scenic settings.

Size is relative. In California some really nice public parks along the coast are limited to RV's 28' or shorter. It depends on the experience you are looking for.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Messages In This Thread
Campgrounds with length limits - by Grandpa - 10-05-2016, 06:14 PM
RE: Campgrounds with length limits - by hexspeed - 10-05-2016, 08:22 PM
RE: Campgrounds with length limits - by Fulltiming - 10-05-2016, 09:42 PM
RE: Campgrounds with length limits - by HoosierDaddy - 10-06-2016, 03:44 AM
RE: Campgrounds with length limits - by Chester Stone - 10-06-2016, 08:50 AM
RE: Campgrounds with length limits - by Beesme - 10-06-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: Campgrounds with length limits - by Grandpa - 10-06-2016, 05:33 PM
RE: Campgrounds with length limits - by RussWhite - 10-07-2016, 01:52 PM