You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Girard awning hack

I finally got around to ordering and replacing the girard motor. Two things of import that are worth mentioning. First, the gearbox of the new setup is metal. The metal gearbox allowed Girard to simply the mounting arrangement. The install was much easier than the earlier reinstall of the original motor. I was lucky in that I found the interior power cord simply by looking over the passenger side valence. Sweet, I thought I was going to have to remove the round transition piece between the ceiling and the wall but I did not.

The second thing I ran into was that although I wired the new motor to the same color scheme as the old motor, it ran backwards. When I pushed the retract button it wanted to extend, and of course the extend button retracted the awning. I thought to just reverse the labels. However, it hit me that the wind sensor would tell the awning to behave backwards if I left the wiring this way. I didn't want the thing to unfurl on the highway again, so I reversed the brown and the red leads and all is well.

I am not posting a part number on purpose. Since there were variants of that awning on different era coaches, I think it best to call Girard if you have to replace a motor. I will say in hindsight, that what I assumed was a proprietary part may not be so at all. Let's just say that after seeing the new one, that a giggle search for a 235 watt size 45mm AC tubular motor might have saved me over $500.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
Girard awning hack - by Richard - 12-12-2016, 07:04 AM
RE: Girard awning hack - by Fulltiming - 12-12-2016, 07:16 AM
RE: Girard awning hack - by Chester Stone - 12-12-2016, 08:40 AM
RE: Girard awning hack - by Richard - 12-12-2016, 06:50 PM
RE: Girard awning hack - by RussWhite - 12-12-2016, 08:08 PM
RE: Girard awning hack - by Richard - 12-13-2016, 05:44 AM
RE: Girard awning hack - by Richard - 02-06-2017, 08:07 AM