You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Awning Sail/ Change of Pants

A couple of days ago we were driving from Albuquerque to Santa Fe when three things happened simultaneously. The coach veered hard right, the coach felt like it was going to tip over to the right, and a  tremendous flapping noise occurred, We veered halfway onto the shoulder before I could straighten the coach. I immediately thought we had lost a tire, but my new tire monitoring system was silent, and the coach was trying to steer straight . Then I heard the slide topper awning above the salon slide wind back up. 

We stopped at the next exit, and to my surprise the awning locks on the arms were intact. So the wind had to hit the coach just right to get under the rolled up awning and unroll it. 

When we got to Santa Fe, both the salon and the bedroom awnings had obviously deployed about four feet based on the way the leading edge was rolled back up. I have never had anything like this happen before and I hope to never have it happen again. 

We drove across I40 in tremendous side winds on the left of the coach and the awnings stayed put just fine. This had to be a microburst at just the right angle to get under the awning and unfurl it. We had just crested mesa and there were wind warnings and wind socks galore. 

Not that you need to do anything, just thought you would get some entertainment at my expense. When I see wind warnings I will make sure both hands are on the wheel.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
Awning Sail/ Change of Pants - by Richard - 06-15-2017, 03:13 PM
RE: Awning Sail/ Change of Pants - by pairodice - 06-15-2017, 03:46 PM
RE: Awning Sail/ Change of Pants - by folivier - 06-15-2017, 07:05 PM
RE: Awning Sail/ Change of Pants - by Richard - 06-15-2017, 09:10 PM
RE: Awning Sail/ Change of Pants - by HoosierDaddy - 06-16-2017, 03:39 AM
RE: Awning Sail/ Change of Pants - by encantotom - 06-16-2017, 06:59 AM
RE: Awning Sail/ Change of Pants - by ccjohnson - 06-16-2017, 11:56 AM