You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air dryer and tanks

Hello to everyone and thanks for warm welcome !
 I am looking at getting the air brake /suspension systems working properly on the 86 , coach #89.  After the 700 mile initial trip home I noticed an oily spray on the side of the muffler . No oil evident in exhaust exit . Turns out the copper tubing coming from the air dryer /heat exchanger vent was routed into a hole in the side of the muffler . The tubing had broken just outside the muffler and was spraying the air dryer exhaust on the side of muffler . The compressor builds air in about two minutes or so , but I was concerned about it blowing oil into the system . I went through the air dryer ( CR Brakemaster Model 68 ) and found a film of " oily water " . No dirty, black oil , only what you would would have with a small amount of water with a few drops of clean oil . No liquid actually standing , just a film. No "black " oil in tube either . The dryer has been cleaned and serviced with new check valve and dump valve kits from SKF . Have not reinstalled yet .
 I am trying to find the air tanks and drains . Located a vertical tank , driver's side forward of bellhousing , with a drain cock . Hardly a drop came out , but I now believe this is the catch tank for the air box drains . I have now found a drain cock on what appears to be a lateral frame member ? It's forward of the trans and looks to have lines coming out the top heading to the rear brakes , etc. I did not get a look at the top , only the bottom . Drain cock looks to be plugged with dirt , probably last drained during Reagan's State of the Union address. Have not attempted to open this valve yet . I found drain cocks toward the front , two for the fuel /water separators and one in a rectangular box below the main fuel tank . I must be missing something somewhere . 
  Coach drives very well ( the thing that sold me ) , feels level on the road and stands right up soon after start up . However , the driver's side lowers after being parked for a few hours , seems to be worse at the rear . I will chase down the leak , but the 120 v compressor doesn't work . There is no voltage going into the compressor , not sure if there is a switch somewhere or if it's because I have the coach connected to a 30 amp power source at the moment. 
There are two female quick connects , one at the compressor ( forward of driver's front wheel ) and one in passenger engine bay that's connected to manifold(s) , electric/air solenoids , a gauge and blue tubing . I'm thinking I can connect one of these to air line from shop and start chasing the leak(s). 
 Any insight will be greatly appreciated , apologies for wordy description..
 Hope everyone is having a grand old time out there ,
Thanks ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Messages In This Thread
Air dryer and tanks - by Tf175 - 11-06-2017, 06:35 AM
RE: Air dryer and tanks - by Fulltiming - 11-06-2017, 07:56 AM
RE: Air dryer and tanks - by 77newell - 11-06-2017, 03:24 PM