You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power Tech high water temp

(05-30-2018, 09:55 PM)Nebster Wrote:  Hey all,

I have the PT 20kW genset sidemounted with the remote radiator.

Yesterday, after a 3-hour generator run, I came back to find it shut down with a "high water temp" error on the ECU.  Not knowing what to try first, I looked at the coolant overflow tank (white plastic thing sitting below the fill tank at the top of the engine) and saw it was basically on empty even after the engine had fully cooled.  I added coolant to the top, which proceeded to overflow the top radiator cap/tank.  Only by futzing around with the hosing and the connection to the white plastic tank would some finally go down through the little hose.

I ended up adding more fluid directly to the white tank per Newell's recommendation.

Next, I started up and noticed that my radiator blower fan motor was shutting down randomly.  I think it has simply gotten filled with too much dust, as it was pretty caked.  But that seemed definitely like the problem.

I went to Grainger and got a replacement motor.  Actually, I got two motors, because my PT genset had a 1/2hp motor, but Newell said I should get the 3/4hp and make it fit instead.  I was able to get the 3/4hp one installed without too much trouble, and it is blowing great.

Now, after 32 minutes of runtime, my generator shut down AGAIN with the same high water temp.  

So I guess I have another issue, but I'm not sure where to start.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi,
I recently had a similar problem, 9 (i have coach 1218, 2008 side mounted genie)
It was a large air lock in the system not allowing the coolant to circulate properly through the radiator, I ended up having to take the thermostat housing off to allow the system to fill correctly and to fill the radiator, once the system overflowed through the thermostat housing i put it all back together and its been fine since,
I think its just a hard system to bleed fully,
Mine also had water in the overflow tank but just couldn't suck it down!
good luck,
Rob

2008 NEWELL C-15 ZF 1218

Messages In This Thread
Power Tech high water temp - by Nebster - 05-30-2018, 09:55 PM
RE: Power Tech high water temp - by rwg200 - 05-31-2018, 04:00 AM
RE: Power Tech high water temp - by bestgenman - 05-31-2018, 06:00 AM
RE: Power Tech high water temp - by Nebster - 05-31-2018, 09:43 PM
RE: Power Tech high water temp - by Nebster - 06-11-2018, 11:53 PM
RE: Power Tech high water temp - by bestgenman - 06-12-2018, 03:50 AM
RE: Power Tech high water temp - by bestgenman - 06-12-2018, 04:06 AM
RE: Power Tech high water temp - by Nebster - 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM