You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Nothing beats the freedom of traveling by private coach

Welcome Steve. Glad you have joined us. There are a few Newells with rebuilt Detroit Series 60's but not many. One of the issues of motorhomes, certainly not unique to Newell is that some are owned and operated by folks whose experience driving large trucks or buses is nil. As I am sure you know, lack of preventive maintenance such as replacing belts and hoses can be a disaster for a heavy duty vehicle. The Detroit 'Million Mile' moniker is tied to use in over the road trucks. In most cases, you will find that Newells in the age bracket you are looking at will have between 65,000 and 300,000 miles. I would not be concerned about any of those mileages in regard to the Detroit engine IF proper maintenance has been done. If maintenance has been neglected, all bets are off. Low mileage can be as large or larger issue than higher mileage as the coach may have sat for extended periods (even years) without use. Many of our members have Series 60 coaches with over 200,000 miles on them that are giving great service. Getting an oil analysis is always a good idea if possible.

I am certain that others will chime in regarding the Detroit Series 60 which was used to power virtually all of the 1999-2003 model Newells (there were at least two 2003's and one 1999 that were CAT powered).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Messages In This Thread