You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc.

Thanks all, great tips.

I spent quite some time on this today, and one thing is probably for certain: I had stuff on the slide roof interfering with the seal. I say "probably" because I can't prove at this point that one or both of my leaking slides were caused by it, but I forced my way up there (mostly via a scope and a mirror) and discovered all manner of gunk and junk along and near and on top of that long narrow strip where the seal should, um, seal after re-inflating when the slide is extended.

I had a few leaves, some tiny twigs, a bunch of what looked like ten years of random decaying detritus and paint flakes, plus a baby pinecone (??) all up along that channel on the two slides.

My guess, now, is that one or more of those bits created a spot where water could wick into the coach from the outside. This water then, in the #1 slide's case, presumably traveled over to the inside edge of the slide roof (not far) and then wrapped its way underneath and into cabinetry. (Just the way Richard describes it above in his second depiction of a way these things can leak.)

What still gives me pause is that I did look and felt up there on the inside side of the seal, which I can sort of see at an angle or using my camera, and I didn't notice a river of water making its way inside and then wrapping around into the interior of the slide room. But, I suspect that is what was happening nevertheless.

The amount of crap up there was so extensive that, absent further evidence and testing, I have to assume that this the cause of my leaks. I cleaned ALL of the stuff off of both the #1 and #3 slides today, with some effort and the slides half-extended so that I had enough headroom at the ceiling to reach in there. I did NOT take any valance or trim material off but instead just worked my way slowly across the room with a ladder.

Another thing I noticed is that where the wire loom/track things sit atop the slide, there was a tendency for even more material to be trapped. I would say there were about twice as many twigs and bits of junk and leaves in those areas (two tracks on my #1 slide, one track on my #3 slide), and indeed the cabinetry leak point on the #1 slide coincides exactly with where one of those tracks is up above.

Until we have an extensive rainstorm again, I won't "get" to test my theory. But I do think this is probably it, which of course is a great relief if so. Although it is not easy to get to that area to look at it, much less clean it off, it is doable at least on my coach on those two slides.

I now have on my list to do the #2 and #4 slides as well.

Finally, regarding the "L" bracket and whether it is doing its job: I discovered today that my big slides (1 and 4) actually have TWO L's, one each at the 1/3 and 2/3 point across the coach. They are definitely mating with the coach when the slide reaches full extension, but that place where they mate is "finished" with the same leather that wraps up to the roof. The leather there is slightly depressed and obviously well-worn, but it is also in a location that is not visible no matter the position of the slide. I will take a picture of it, for your collective analysis, the next time I have a chance, though.

Many thanks again. I hope I'll not have to resurrect this thread with further bad news, but it will be a while until I know if I have this one licked!

Ben

p.s. I am still concerned about the propensity for the linear bearings to get soaked when a slide has to come in wet. I know it is best to just wait and bring in a slide after it's dry, but that's not always an option. I am going to have to take more aggressive action the next time I have to do this. I would prefer that Newell "wrap" the rails and bearings more completely, even with just a protective fabric or something soft under there, but maybe that is impractical given the tight space and the motion path.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

Messages In This Thread
Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by Nebster - 09-16-2018, 12:34 PM
RE: Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by Richard - 09-16-2018, 05:25 PM
RE: Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by Nebster - 09-16-2018, 05:41 PM
RE: Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by valento - 09-16-2018, 06:13 PM
RE: Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by folivier - 09-17-2018, 04:51 AM
RE: Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by Richard - 09-17-2018, 05:13 AM
RE: Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by pairodice - 09-17-2018, 06:39 AM
RE: Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by Richard - 09-17-2018, 05:08 PM
RE: Slide leaks, linear bearings, etc. - by Nebster - 09-17-2018, 07:11 PM