You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1975 Newell - Ride Rite rear Firestone air springs - Normal pressure

My coach originally had the red shag. I found it under a number of things - not sure if I still have any laying around I'll look Smile

Here's the discovery from calling Newell

I spoke to one of the Service Managers at the factory. One of the other people on the phone said the guy's around there that worked on these old coaches are pretty much all gone. The Shop Manager really knew quite a bit though.

I've always noticed the left rear side of my coach was lower then the right side. I've thought there was an issue with the suspension level or maybe a part going bad - it turns out they were setup that way by design to account for driving on crowned roads. From what he said it was a late 1970's early 1980's thing. That revelation makes me feel better and is one less thing I need to dig into "unless something turns up under closer inspection".

For my question on the suspension / brake air pressure acceptable range, his thoughts were it should be somewhere between 70psi and 95psi. One this unit both of the systems run at the same pressure. "unless I find a regulator" He thought for this type of rear suspension it was more for height adjustment and to cushion the ride. For my coach I'm going to have to look a little closer at the belt driver compressor's pressure regulator. Once I have that fixed or I may just add a regulator to it with a gauge. Or maybe a regulator to the height adjustment. We'll see how that shakes out. 
The compressor seems to be a pretty standard model so I should be able to find some specifications online. It's also an opportunity to do a little service on it also. Filter - oil - fix the busted weld on the bracket. Shouldn't be too bad other then getting all the parts pulled together.

I also asked about the leveling and my idea of adding a couple Firestone air springs and brackets to the front with an auxiliary compressor. No joy on that idea, oh well looks like I'm back to the plastic bricks and an on-board level system. He suggested the HWH Hydraulic 4 shock/strut system. I had a line on one a while back. Looks like I'll need to look into that again.

He had some good information on leveling the body, I guess the front springs of this era coach are pretty rigid. No surprise since there's at least 6-8 per side. It is one heavy front axle and spring setup. Also a little bouncy when you walk around. That surprised me a little since the springs are so massive. It must just be the right balance. The front and rear height is controlled by the adjust on the height control valves. "Yeah I know - you can call me captain obvious" One per side with the rod attaching to the rear axle. Once I get the pressure where i want it - it may just be perfect - ok, that's probably not realistic - here's hoping.

Anyway good info all around. Thanks very much for the suggestion.
Hope no one fulls asleep reading this - I do tend to prattle on and on. Wink

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Messages In This Thread