You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Entry Door Skin Re-bonding

My entry door's skin had de-laminated which caused the door to drag on the sill.  It was twisted enough that the top aft corner stuck out past the drip rail.....approximately an inch.  I had been putting it off as I dreaded the VHB tape removal process.

I picked up some 3M spray adhesive remover and a 3M adhesive eraser wheel.  Removed the door and set it up on the work bench....known to be flat and level.  After getting the outer skin removed from the door I cut down the thickness of the VHB as much as I could with a razor window scraper (the wide bladed, long handle variety).  Using the wheel (in an electric drill) and adhesive remover I was able to clean the VHB from the door and skin at at rate of 12 linear inches per minute....yeah!

The interior skin is still intact so I left it alone, but did check squareness and twist.  Corrected a slight warp with a shim under the low corner.  Roughed up the bond line with a coarse grit sanding disc cleaned with solvent.   Used Sika 252 as I had on hand and the specs (shear, tensil and elongation) are better than the VHB.  Clamped the skin with light pressure and caul blocks so as not to squeeze out to much adhesive.

Happy to report the door is hung is square in the opening and pretty much fits flush all the way around.  Closes with a thunk and opens so easy.....wife is happy life is good:-)

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Messages In This Thread
Entry Door Skin Re-bonding - by Latitude 28 - 07-14-2019, 09:48 AM
RE: Entry Door Skin Re-bonding - by encantotom - 07-14-2019, 10:56 AM
RE: Entry Door Skin Re-bonding - by Latitude 28 - 07-14-2019, 12:04 PM
RE: Entry Door Skin Re-bonding - by Richard - 07-14-2019, 01:11 PM
RE: Entry Door Skin Re-bonding - by Latitude 28 - 07-14-2019, 01:52 PM
RE: Entry Door Skin Re-bonding - by Fulltiming - 07-14-2019, 03:05 PM
RE: Entry Door Skin Re-bonding - by ACR - 02-02-2020, 09:12 AM