You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tie Rod / Drag Link End story

Gurus,

My coach has a bunch of miles.  (All of them were gentle miles that I acquired driving on pre-inspected super smooth asphalt interstate highways).  

One of the things that needs attention more based on age than mileage is the condition of the tie rod and drag link ends.  These joints are protected by a rubber cap that will age out leaving sand, grit, moisture and other goblins a way to get in and ruin the joints.

If you do not know what a drag-link is (I didn’t) ...look at Drag Link - Wikipedia

A few years ago, I noticed that my boots were aging and needed replacing.

This thread talked about sourcing the tie rod ends.

I ordered a set of tie rod ends and drag link ends from Super Steer.  They hung out in the coach until this week when I happened to be at the factory getting a slide seal replaced.   The Newell shop was happy to put on my ends.

Although the rubber was not completely perished....the old tie rod ends were def. "crunchy" when I operated them.   This would be a good thing to inspect when you have your coach safely blocked and jacked up.

Here is where the story gets interesting.

The tie rod ends that I got from Super Steer fit perfectly and are great quality.   BUT....(and its a big ole but)...the drag link ends that I got from SS have the same fine thread that is on the tie rods, but my coach has a much coarser thread on the drag link ends than the tie rods.   Hmmmm.

I talked to Morgan in the Newell parts department.  He said that the tie rod ends are readily available....AND that he had some drag link ends with the coarse thread.  Yes!  So the drag link went back on the coach with new ends.  Success!

This is the original drag link end.

Here is the new SS drag link end.

Note that the new blue end has a much finer thread than the old one.

Lessons learned:
1)  Newell has tie rod ends in stock for the IFS84 front end  (actually cheaper than the SS parts).
2)  There are different thread pitches on at least one coach between the Tie Rods and the Drag Links.  It would be best to verify before you order.

The Newell Service Department did a great job!  They can do the tie rod ends and align the coach in one go.  

Cheers,
bill

ps.  Maddux approved this post.  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Messages In This Thread
Tie Rod / Drag Link End story - by bikestuff - 02-18-2020, 04:47 PM
RE: Tie Rod / Drag Link End story - by MrE - 02-18-2020, 05:26 PM
Drag Link: The rest of the story - by bikestuff - 02-27-2020, 06:51 AM
RE: Tie Rod / Drag Link End story - by bestgenman - 02-22-2021, 02:08 PM