You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Awning, Which is best?

I had Girard electric awnings on both sides and above all the windows on my Newell. I loved them for I could deploy or retract with a press of a button. However, I NEVER left them out if I was not at the coach and I NEVER left them out during any type of wind or rain storm. Yes I had four anemometers on the roof but a quick heavy wind gust would do its damage before the anemometers could ever react. When we had a No Rally at Ruidoso, NM a few years back one of our fellow Newell owners left his Girard window awnings out during a violent wind and rain storm. The window awnings have support bars that deploy when unfurled. The wind was strong enough that it actually broke his support arm attachment.

My current Foretravel has manual ZipDee shades on the driver's side and one electric Girard topper, with anemometer, over the passenger side. The ZipDee shades seem to be designed better to handle the wind. I do leave them deployed when I am not at the coach. I do still bring in the Girard whenever I leave or a storm is brewing.

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Messages In This Thread
Awning, Which is best? - by HoosierDaddy - 04-06-2020, 05:17 AM
RE: Awning, Which is best? - by Trainer - 04-06-2020, 06:51 AM
RE: Awning, Which is best? - by DK on the road - 04-06-2020, 08:18 AM
RE: Awning, Which is best? - by valento - 04-06-2020, 10:04 AM