You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

The shakedown

Kim,

Sorry that the first trip has been stressful. Let's start with the big picture and managing expectations. I this may be your first motorhome. The reality is you now own an extremely complicated beast. It is a sophisticated truck with three electrical systems, two water systems, and a complex heating system that are all intertwined. This forum can help you by understanding the beast and how it works. It's good that you are asking questions. The search engine is also your best friend. There are a lot of answers already covered, because as much as I hate to disappoint you, you are not the first.

Motorhomes are not Hondas. And despite buying a high end rig, and having the dealer "prep" it, there are going to be some early issues that either weren't known or addressed, plus some issues that are simply a learning curve for how it works. I call this the "uh ohs". It's the time period when you see the problems, but you don't have a clue as to what to do about them. You will learn, and you will get the problems fixed.

Let's start with the Aquahot and water systems. We need to divide this into two parts, because other than water being heated by the Aquahot, it has nothing to do with city vs self contained. On the water, if you are on city, TURN THE MAIN PUMP OFF. On some Newells of your era, hooking up to city water and leaving the Headhunter pump on results in a very high water pressure. This may explain your water leaks. When connected to city water, you are using water from the attached hose at campsite. You do not need the pump. When using water from the self contained tank, you do need the pump.

The aquahot can heat the water two ways, electric and diesel. Newell supplied the AH with high wattage electrical heater. If you are plugged into 50 amp service, you can heat without burning diesel. HOWEVER, look for a switch usually above the oven that will say heat on ac off in one position and heat off ac on in the other. If you have the switch flipped to heat on, the air conditioners will not work.

The hydraulic leak. Clean it up with Dawn, followed by more Dawn, followed by more Dawn. I am assuming you were in travel mode when you activated the room? Please confirm. If not, you could have bound the locking pin perhaps causing the leak. Here is what I would do. Retract the room back into the coach about a foot. There is a curvy valence over the bed that prevents you from seeing the top of the slide. Push straight up on the valence and remove it. Use a flashlight and look at the two locking pins on top of the wall that will push down into the slide out room. See if you can see the leak. If it is a fitting, I would see if it could be tightened.

If not, then talk to Mark at Newell, and identify which two solenoids on the HWH manifold activate the locking pins. The HWH manifold is under the drivers feet in the outside bay. Make sure the pins are retracted and then Deactivate those two solenoids by screwing in the T handle for four turns. Pull the room on in, and don't worry about it until you get Kris to look at it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
The shakedown - by OurNewelllife - 07-28-2020, 05:59 AM
RE: The shakedown - by Richard - 07-28-2020, 09:41 AM
RE: The shakedown - by PlazaGuy - 07-29-2020, 07:07 AM