You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic alternator

Revisiting low charging voltage from alternator that was rebuilt and upgraded to 220 amp back in 2018 . The unit is a Leece Neville  with 102200 regulator which is non adjustable , and is driven directly off blower shaft . The highest output I have seen is 13.6 V with fully charged batteries . When driving in daylight the voltage will fall back below 12.5 V , at night with all lights on it will drop below 12 and steadily loses from there , cruising at 65mph . The housing was broken when the alternator was returned after rebuild , regulator mounting was broken , rotor would not turn . Sent it back , when it arrived second time the reg mount had been replaced , housing still broken , rotor would not turn . No housings available , so I knew I was on my own , loosened through bolts , shifted stator to get rotor clearance , put a clamp around the housing to keep chips from falling off and ran it . Probably should have scrapped it at that point , but it looked like  $2K plus for a new one , or a Wilson for about $700. Early this year I sourced a used belt drive set up from ebay , just the drive , would need to get an alternator if I decide to go with this .
I am wondering if anyone out there has switched to a belt drive alternator on an 8V92 ? I think it may be the same on a 6V . My reasoning is that I believe the belt driven alternator would be more accessible .
 Hope everyone is well ,
Thanks ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Messages In This Thread
Classic alternator - by Tf175 - 07-28-2020, 12:43 PM
RE: Classic alternator - by MrE - 07-28-2020, 07:20 PM
RE: Classic alternator - by Tf175 - 07-29-2020, 10:18 AM