You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Blew a front tire

Hi People. This is my first time posting on the site but I have had my newel for 6 years and been registered to the site for 2 or 3 years.  This site is a real plus for a newel owner and the info from
all of you is big help on these complicated rigs.  Since my Newel had a new set of michelins installed
6 years ago when I  bought it I felt sure I would not have any tire problems but here is what happened on my last trip back from Montana to Ocean Shores.  I was on  Interstate 90 and had just passed Anaconda, MT. and was going 60 MPH when my right front tire blew.  It was loud and violent. There were no other cars near me but I did take up 1/2 of the lane next to me. By the time I had coasted down to about 20 MPH the right front tire locked up and that sent me rite off the road but I came to a stop  in a good place off the freeway.  I got out and looked at the damage and the tire had come off the rim and wrapped around the axle,  jammed and locked up.  The wheel was shot and the brake hose was tore in 2.  I called Les Swab in Dear lodge. They sent a truck out. I took this man half a day to get the tire off with a grinder and cutting tools plus it is hard to get a newel in the air when it is setting on the rim there is no room to get a jack under it.  All told it took most of the day by the time he found a wheel, Brake hose and 2 Michelins for both front tires. My bill was $1800
for this which I thought was a good deal for something that took all day.  I can't say enough good things about this place or there employee.  When I got home I replaced all the rear tires also. What did I learn from this. Keep both hands on the wheel at all times, Keep the speed down and replace your tires at 5 years exspecially the fronts.  If you made it this far on this post Thank You. This is a great site with nice people.

1991  #248  Ex Al Unser Jr

Messages In This Thread
Blew a front tire - by rollensmooth - 11-26-2020, 11:38 PM
RE: Blew a front tire - by Richard - 11-27-2020, 05:58 AM
RE: Blew a front tire - by bikestuff - 11-27-2020, 07:55 AM
RE: Blew a front tire - by Trainer - 11-27-2020, 09:57 AM
RE: Blew a front tire - by MrE - 11-27-2020, 11:02 AM
RE: Blew a front tire - by Trainer - 11-27-2020, 02:25 PM
RE: Blew a front tire - by MrE - 11-27-2020, 03:00 PM
RE: Blew a front tire - by rollensmooth - 11-27-2020, 08:25 PM
RE: Blew a front tire - by Trainer - 11-28-2020, 07:21 AM