You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Early clues to fuel filter problems

In 13 years and 100k miles of coach use, I have never had to change a fuel filter while on a trip. I had my first experience a couple of days ago. We had to climb Black Mountain into Asheville NC, and I had NO power. I also could not build any boost over about 5 psi. I suspected fuel filter, but I had 20 more miles to go before the campground, and that was plenty of time for my mind to run away to turbo issues, ECM issues, air intake issues, and mostly ruined trip. Oh yeah, think horses not zebras I said. 

I had spare filters and ATF so changing the filter was not a problem. Except spinning the locking ring loose was a bear, that a channel lock filter wrench bested. 

But that’s just background for the real reason for the post. I had early warning clues that would have saved me the slog up the mountain IF I had only recognized what was happening. 

Here were the early warning clues, that obviously make sense in hindsight. One, the coach felt like it was  “missing” occasionally on an entrance ramp. The “miss” would go away as soon as we were up to speed. Since the engine doesn’t have plugs, wires, or distributor, “miss” is just a way to describe how it felt. Also, at the very top of rolling hills, the coach would “miss” one time. Just one very quick stutter. Most of this happened before I changed out a failing wheel bearing a week ago. I had written off the signs as the wheel bearing having a rough spot. 

Anyway, if I had recognized these as early warning signs, I would have checked the filter housing and noticed it was full all the way to the top of the clear bowl. 

Stay safe out there. And keep spare filters on board!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
Early clues to fuel filter problems - by Richard - 05-22-2021, 01:28 PM
RE: Early clues to fuel filter problems - by bikestuff - 05-22-2021, 03:12 PM
RE: Early clues to fuel filter problems - by Richard - 05-22-2021, 05:31 PM
RE: Early clues to fuel filter problems - by Doug Musick - 05-22-2021, 08:11 PM
RE: Early clues to fuel filter problems - by folivier - 05-22-2021, 09:54 PM
RE: Early clues to fuel filter problems - by Richard - 05-23-2021, 03:54 AM
RE: Early clues to fuel filter problems - by folivier - 05-23-2021, 07:05 AM