You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Should I worry?

Welcome to the Gurus !

We were in the same position as you after being introduced to "classic" Newells by Clarke and Elaine Hockwald , members of this forum.  We were fortunate that Clarke knew of a coach for sale by a fellow forum member, and that coach has been a fantastic home for us for the past  four years, and 30 thousand miles. The coach you are looking at will have a few common mechanicals with others of that era. Most likely a 6 or 8 cylinder Detroit Diesel 2 cycle motor, along with a 4 speed Allison transmission for the 8 cylinder motor, and a 5 speed if the coach has the 6 cylinder motor. One of the most important things to do prior to purchase is to have a motor oil and transmission fluid sample sent to a lab for testing. ( Blackstone Labs )  For about 60 dollars, they can tell you  a lot about the condition of the engine and transmission. Replacing the engine is a 25 thousand dollar item and the transmission is about 7 thousand. With engines weighing over 3000 lbs, most of us have no way to do this work ouselves.  
Depending on your area, there may be a forum member willing to look at your potential purchase. You will find tons of experience here. Good luck.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Messages In This Thread
Should I worry? - by travelin'ging - 08-09-2021, 11:06 PM
RE: Should I worry? - by Guy - 08-10-2021, 01:03 AM
RE: Should I worry? - by whatsnewell - 08-10-2021, 08:39 PM
RE: Should I worry? - by MrE - 08-10-2021, 09:49 PM