You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Oil drain plug - my imagination, or problem ?

Changed the oil today in the 8V92, something I have done several times, and something I have had done in shops before . When I removed the plug, I was surprised at how easy the plug came out. Never been a " gorilla tight " plug, but I don't remember it being so easy. It is a plug, not a bolt, so there is no sholder to make positive contact with the pan. I have experienced no drips or leaks, so I don't know if I am just being overly cautious. Before putting the plug back in, I examined the threads, and they look fine , both the pan and the plug. I would estimate that I am able to get about 10 ft lbs on the plug. Any more than that it continues to move. I cheaped out years ago and my Harbor Freight torque wrenches, both inch lbs and ft lbs are worthless at low values. I have not replaced the oil in the engine yet, being on the fence regarding this plug, which has served me well for 40 thousand miles and 8 oil changes. Any thoughts?

I can't believe after 50 years of working on cars, I am having an issue with such a simple thing......

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Messages In This Thread