You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

"Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase

Hi all.  We own coach 717, a 2005 that we have been full-timing in as remote workers for the last 3 years.  We upgraded from a 36ft Country Couch to this on some great advice about drivability and of course 4 slides are amazing to live in.  We are now thinking about buying an rv lot, so we would be off the road for 6 months and have access to a casita.  We have come across a vintage 1987 coach that needs work but is really beautiful.  (We also have a 1989 Land Rover Defender 110 that we sometimes tow - so we like cool, vintage things.). We liked having more freedom in the 36ft to boondock, go down dirt roads, more site availability, but I hated driving that thing in anything other than perfect conditions and then only for 4-5 hours.

I'm sure a late 1980's Newell with 8-10 air bags, 45000lbs and tag axle will drive much better than our 4 bag single rear axle CC but not as good as our 2005.  I would also welcome a less complex setup, more similar to what we had on the CC.  Since we would have 2 coaches for awhile, I'm prepared to invest in upgrades like victron inverter/charger/solar, lithium batteries, induction cooktop, residential fridge, maybe remove propane : basically a baby of the best of both of these coaches.  I've done these upgrades twice now so know what to expect.  What I don't know of are issues problematic to the older coaches (basement air?) and how it will drive and live long term. I have read the 1987 owners manual posted by Mxfram (thanks) so understand most of the systems. I can give up some space and comforts for 6 months (summer in the mtn west) given my ability to access more places and storage at our casita. I also willing to replace systems that could be problematic.  The aquahot on my 2005 went out during covid and instead of wait months for a rebuilt unit $$$$$, I had newell install a new Oasis for less $$$$. However, I'm not going to be replacing diodes on a controller and probably cannot trace that kind of issue anyway, although I guess you learn your coach 1 problem at a time Smile

I will never forget the day I drove my 2005 home 890 miles, sometimes in 40 mph winds in NM.  I would get out to stretch my legs and think, wow this is really windy.  In my CC, I would be frazzled after 2 hours and need a sundowner way before sundown.  I still want good driving but in a smaller (and cheaper) package.  I hope this 1987 can give me the best of both worlds, but will take all advice. 

Thanks in advance!
Mark

2005 Newell coach #717 Detroit Diesel 60 Allison 6 speed "Green Machine"
1988 Newell 40ft tag #165 “Purple Haze”

Messages In This Thread
"Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase - by neverbored - 06-19-2023, 09:16 PM
RE: "Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase - by Jack Houpe - 06-20-2023, 04:29 AM
RE: "Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase - by Richard - 06-20-2023, 08:00 AM
RE: "Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase - by encantotom - 06-20-2023, 11:30 AM
RE: "Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase - by neverbored - 06-20-2023, 05:55 PM
RE: "Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase - by BusNit - 06-20-2023, 06:03 PM
RE: "Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase - by Jack Houpe - 06-21-2023, 04:34 AM