You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New user introduction…

My own .02 . I do quite a bit of my own work on my coach. Sometimes I have to do it twice to get it right, but I learn a lot doing it. I have kept some accurate cost accounting, yours may be different since all coaches are different and prior owners may have differed maintenance or neglected a problem. A neglected problem generally creates 2 more problems. That being said, I give you the following.

I bought a 12 yr old coach and was possibly the 4th owner. The last owner did hardly any work on the coach, and the work that was done, was done by the local gas station and most of that work needed to be redone. I tried to pay accordingly for the coach.

Maintenance cost, including, Insurance, tires, batteries, fluid and filter changes (I change more often than recommended, about 1/4 the milage or hrs that Caterpillar recommended). I have put 65K miles in the last 5 years. Newell does some of the bigger work that I'm unsure of, and I catch smaller things as we go. I also assist the Newell guys and I'm an active participant in the repairs. These costs are near $1.00 per mile.

Fuel, will vary with which coach you get and the engine, terrain and speed you drive. I drive, 63 to 67 when permitted, on average. I get about 5.0 MPG with the Cat C15 going over the Sierra's mountains quite often. So, my cost range with fuel prices from .66 to $1.00 per mile.

Depreciation, I have a theory that the coaches drop 8 to 10% per yr, so I write my coach down about $1.00 to $1.50 per mile in value.

All coaches need repair, Repeat ALL coaches. Newells are more advanced and better built, and I believe, are engineered for the long run. I expect to have my coach for another 125K miles based on the above.

Your cost WILL vary.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Messages In This Thread
New user introduction… - by hedgecomb - 09-09-2023, 02:25 PM