You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

96 Newell cranking but not starting

According to Wix, the bowl is a WF10136.

Here’s the link:
https://www2.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartD...art=103528

Shows it’s available. Amazon even has it. The NAPA cross is a 600136.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

(06-02-2024, 04:46 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  According to Wix, the bowl is a WF10136.

Here’s the link:
https://www2.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartD...art=103528

Shows it’s available.  Amazon even has it.  The NAPA cross is a 600136.

Nice find, looks like those are more reasonable price wise than the racor stuff. Anything with racor is expensive, guess it’s because they are commonly used on boats.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

The Wix filter site is a great site. Www.wixfilter.com allows you to put in only a filter number -such as the 23514654- and get the Wix version with all the additional associated parts and gaskets, and the filter specs. It’s really a goldmine of info.

Normally the NAPA Gold number is the last 4 digits of the 5 digit Wix number for an easy cross over there.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Ole,
I had a similar problem to your original no start situation. If after your filter change you still have an issue check this out. https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5756

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Thank you gentlemen. I’ve ordered from Amazon 2 bowls for $34 and the breaker I ordered just in case which was $45. I will get them in the next couple of days. I will report back with the outcome. Thanks again

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

(06-02-2024, 04:58 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  The Wix filter site is a great site.  Www.wixfilter.com allows you to put in only a filter number -such as the 23514654- and get the Wix version with all the additional associated parts and gaskets, and the filter specs.  It’s really a goldmine of info. 

Normally the NAPA Gold number is the last 4 digits of the 5 digit Wix number for an easy cross over there.

Wix is my brand of choice if there is not an OE filter available, ie Detroit filter or Allison filter. 
I am sure I have been on their site looking things up but did not know it gave you the associated parts list, good to know. 

FYI, just found out that Napa gold is no longer Wix filters! I suspect maybe this has something to do with Wix’s merger with Mann/Hummel, or maybe the fact that O’Reilly’s carries Wix and they wanted exclusive rights to sell Wix? Who knows.. Luckily Mann is good stuff so hopefully they do not water down Wix filters quality any!

Scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see that Wix is one of their brands now:
https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/brands.html

(06-02-2024, 05:19 PM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  Ole,
I had a similar problem to your original no start situation.  If after your filter change you still have an issue check this out.  https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5756

Steve, excellent write up and something I will be looking for. I think I will go ahead and order those breakers. I had a no start issue the other day after switching the safety switch. It finally resolved itself somehow. Luckily I was able to start the engine by just energizing the starter relay and it fired right up.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

(06-03-2024, 04:51 AM)[email protected] Wrote:  
(06-02-2024, 04:58 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  The Wix filter site is a great site.  Www.wixfilter.com allows you to put in only a filter number -such as the 23514654- and get the Wix version with all the additional associated parts and gaskets, and the filter specs.  It’s really a goldmine of info. 

Wix is my brand of choice if there is not an OE filter available, ie Detroit filter or Allison filter. 
I am sure I have been on their site looking things up but did not know it gave you the associated parts list, good to know. 

FYI, just found out that Napa gold is no longer Wix filters! I suspect maybe this has something to do with Wix’s merger with Mann/Hummel, or maybe the fact that O’Reilly’s carries Wix and they wanted exclusive rights to sell Wix? Who knows.. Luckily Mann is good stuff so hopefully they do not water down Wix filters quality any!

Scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see that Wix is one of their brands now:
https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/brands.html

(06-02-2024, 05:19 PM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  Ole,
I had a similar problem to your original no start situation.  If after your filter change you still have an issue check this out.  https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5756

Steve, excellent write up and something I will be looking for. I think I will go ahead and order those breakers. I had a no start issue the other day after switching the safety switch. It finally resolved itself somehow. Luckily I was able to start the engine by just energizing the starter relay and it fired right up.

Thanks Jeff.  Since installing my new breakers I have not had a single repeat.  Like Richard said tht's some cheap insurance.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Those breakers supply the main power to the DDEC. If you don’t get the check engine and stop engine lights, those breakers would be the first place to look.

There is a third 12V line to the DDEC originating from the ignition circuit also.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

On our boat we had 2 racors in parrallel each had a 1/4 turn valve on the inlet and the outlet but only one was in line at anytime, the reason being is underway if your engines started starving you could open up the inlet and outlet on the one that was standby and then close the one that was in operation and change the fuel filter while never stopping and I have had to do this more than once, its pretty easy to change the filter on the Newell so thats not cost effective to do that but its a quick solution if its a plugged filter. Gauges on the inlet and outlet to show differential pressure would work if you could get your wife back there to watch them while the engine is loading. Smile

Thats a good thread Steve! I carry jumpers just for such emergencies.

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

Still a no go. I installed the new filter which I filled with diesel and then used the primer/black button on the top housing to prime. I think I did it right even though I didn't find any other way to prime it in the fuel compartments. The breakers were good as the check engine light comes on and then shuts off. It did sputter as if it was going to start but then died. Anyone know a good diesel mechanic in Lutz, Tampa area?

Ole
1996 Newell 45’